Thread: rubover setting

Default rubover setting

Hi all
    I bought a 5 mm citrine and a 5mm rubover collet to set the stone.
    The stone just fit the collet so I do not have edges to bend over.
    I believe I should use a burr to increase the size of the sitting for the stone, but I am a bit scared in doing so, I do not know how to hold such a small piece.
    Will a 5.5mm collet solve my problem?
    Thank you all
    Marina

Marina,

First of all, it sounds as if you are talking about a cabochon and that you have bought a ready made rub down setting for it. As it already has a base there is no sensible way to enlarge it, because it will already have very thin walls.

Stones of a nominal size can still vary quite a bit, so when using ready made settings it helps to have a selection of stones and hope that one will fit.

1. It helps to have some means of measuring stones and a six inch digital calipers is the very easiest to use.

2. Even if you have found a match the stone can get stuck into it before you are ready, so you should always lay a length of dental floss across the setting before inserting the stone. That way you can yank it out if it sticks.

3. The bezel should be only just tall enough to grip the stone when set. If it is too tall you can rub or file the metal down first, or lay in a loose jump ring to raise the stone.

As you can see, these complications are not worth the candle, so I recommend you join a course and for ever after make your own. Dennis.

Hi DEnnis
    thank you for reply
    it is not a cabochon, I am capable to make mt own bezel for them. It is a faceted stone. I thought that buying a ready made collect for it would have been easier.

How about making a simple tube setting instead? It's relatively inexpensive to keep a selection short lengths of different sizes of tube to hand and you can then adjust as needed to the exact size of the stone.

Thanks mizgeorge
    I will buy some tubes; I was trying to take a shortcut