Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solder Paste HELPPPPPPPPPP

deliberate melting is really important to help understand what the metals you're working with will do, and when.
    Back to soldering jump rings though, if you're not finding paste easy, you might want to try the pick method, which is definitely easier than using a pallion. I prefer this method for filligree and other multiply joined pieces as well.

Set up the jump ring as usual, making sure the ends are really well butted together.
    Flux well (I prefer auflux for this as you can see what's going on far better than borax(
    Cut a tiny pallion of solder and place it nearby, but not close enough to be affected by the flame onthe join
    start heating the ring (or whatever) and get it really hot. When you feel it's reached soldering temperature (and this is where having deliberately melted stuff helps), pick up the pallion with your titanium pick and 'feed' it to the joint, where it will be just drawn in with the usual 'flash'.

I know it sounds slightly long winded, but is actually far quicker for most small stuff if you're not using paste, and isn't dependent on drying the flux off and hoping the pallions stay in place!

Can't comment as I haven't used it but am absorbing all this information again!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    deliberate melting is really important to help understand what the metals you're working with will do, and when.
    Back to soldering jump rings though, if you're not finding paste easy, you might want to try the pick method, which is definitely easier than using a pallion. I prefer this method for filligree and other multiply joined pieces as well.

Set up the jump ring as usual, making sure the ends are really well butted together.
    Flux well (I prefer auflux for this as you can see what's going on far better than borax(
    Cut a tiny pallion of solder and place it nearby, but not close enough to be affected by the flame onthe join
    start heating the ring (or whatever) and get it really hot. When you feel it's reached soldering temperature (and this is where having deliberately melted stuff helps), pick up the pallion with your titanium pick and 'feed' it to the joint, where it will be just drawn in with the usual 'flash'.

I know it sounds slightly long winded, but is actually far quicker for most small stuff if you're not using paste, and isn't dependent on drying the flux off and hoping the pallions stay in place!
    thats pretty much what i do although i use borax which i admit i find a pain to see thru
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

lol i cheat i have a laser machine so for jump rings i usually use that. but for my soldering i use wire solder depending on the carat.

think that sounds way to clever for me lol
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Lol, the laser machine is like the fanciest thing you can get, I'd love to have a go with one but I don't think its something you buy for a small business or hobby Where did you study jewellery Mat? Or did you know nothing until you got your apprenticeship?

well the laser machine uses the a beam to bond the gold to gold so there is no need for solder and theirs no fire skin. carbonation happens but most times that can be steamed off or lightly buffed. also the reaction is very quick so heat can be managed to perfection.

i didnt know anything about jewellery until i started the job but with stern bosses and beatings when needed the knowledge and passion has grown on me. although i dont own a single piece of jewellery :P
    Last edited by Matp85; 21-08-2009 at 07:50 PM.

wow very high tech wayyyyyyyyyyy outta my league lol
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

I love working with the pastes! I do use a bit of flux cos I like to make sure..... You will soon acquire the knack of nudging the paste of the nozzle over time. I find it much easier than trying to balance a snip of solder.

I must try the pick method but to date I have been too scaredy cat.