Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Solder Paste HELPPPPPPPPPP

Quote Originally Posted by bustagasket View Post
    lol i am resorting back to the old fashioned method for the rest of this bracelet and then i will practice on some scraps. I even find it hard to make the paste actually sit on the join it prefers being attached to the syringe rather than sitting on the link!!!
    I agree Su' - I bought some of this stuff back in the winter and could hardly get it out of the syringe....oooo me arthritic thumbs!! When I moaned on the forum a couple of weeks ago Nic suggested that it squeezes out better if it is warm. Now I know it has not been a very warm summer and all that....but - are you keeping it in the fridge or something (clutching at straws here!! hee hee!) Anyway - you are not alone with having rigid paste that won't lie down!! I'd love to know if you eventually manage to tame it!!

OOO, sorry - meant to add that I agree with bijou and george about the hottest bit being well in front of the blue cone. I know they say at the tip of the cone at college but I've always found it hotter considerably further on down the flame...and the fiercer you have the torch turned on the further away you need to hold it!
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 21-08-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Forgot last paragraph...what am I like!! Derrr!

Did you get the easy paste? (680 degrees melting point?) I melt fine wire (0.4mm) quite easily without the wire melting (the technique that I use is to hold the flame near but not on the link, and as soon as it gets a bit of heat up (the paste smokes) then I flash the flame over it (the end of the blue bit of the flame).

You only need a tiny bit of paste, so as tough as it is to squeeze it it shouldn't take much to get it out. It does sound like its a bit dry though if its sticking to the syringe.

Julie - You done need to flux, the paste is solder and flux mixed together... clever stuff... I use both methods depending on what I'm doing... I ALWAYS use paste for links though!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Did you get the easy paste? (680 degrees melting point?) I melt fine wire (0.4mm) quite easily without the wire melting (the technique that I use is to hold the flame near but not on the link, and as soon as it gets a bit of heat up (the paste smokes) then I flash the flame over it (the end of the blue bit of the flame).

You only need a tiny bit of paste, so as tough as it is to squeeze it it shouldn't take much to get it out. It does sound like its a bit dry though if its sticking to the syringe.

Julie - You done need to flux, the paste is solder and flux mixed together... clever stuff... I use both methods depending on what I'm doing... I ALWAYS use paste for links though!
    thank you charlotte does sound good might have to give it ago

Smile

Its quite expensive, but it seems to last a very long time, and you can change from strip to paste whenever it suits. I would recommend it, it can be SOOOOoooooo helpful sometimes when you just can't balance a piece of strip or cut a piece small enough.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Su,

Do not panic.....Make sure your little torch is absolutely full of gas
    OMG, YES! This can make a huge difference, the amount of times I've seen no difference in the flame but couldn't get something hot enough then topped it up with gas its like a whole new torch again!

the torch dam near went out of the window just now. roll on 30 mins time when the pain killers kick in. it wont stop hurting but i will be a lot happier about it lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Lol, you've got to love pain relief pills... I had to come off mine when I started seeing chickens and clowns though

Hope you feel better quickly... go have a hot bath and a glass of wine (its Friday afterall) and go back to the jewellery after

Su have you melted a few things on purpose yet?
    If not then it would be a really really useful thing to do....
    Assemble a jump ring like you normally would, squidge a bit of paste solder out
    (I normally scoop a bit on a toothpick and apply it in a blob on the join)
    lie it on your solder block and heat it until the solder melts...

Then deliberately keep heating, keep heating until the silver jump ring melts observe the way the silver goes
    extra shiny & fluid looking. You'll find soldering a lot easier once you've done that a few times
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Lol, yeah... a planned mistake is better than messing up your actual work... I wish I'd done it that way

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Su have you melted a few things on purpose yet?
    If not then it would be a really really useful thing to do....
    Assemble a jump ring like you normally would, squidge a bit of paste solder out
    (I normally scoop a bit on a toothpick and apply it in a blob on the join)
    lie it on your solder block and heat it until the solder melts...

Then deliberately keep heating, keep heating until the silver jump ring melts observe the way the silver goes
    extra shiny & fluid looking. You'll find soldering a lot easier once you've done that a few times
    Nic xx
    oo thanks nic, i will have a go at that when i regain control of my legs again
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away