Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing permanent marker from sterling silver

Default Removing permanent marker from sterling silver

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on removing permanent marker (Sharpie) ink from sterling silver? There are a few remnants on some pieces that have just come back from hallmarking and don't want want to risk damaging the hallmark.

Many thanks!

Jayne

Meths?

(Or anneal & pickle!)

Thanks for the reply Peter. Annealing isn't an option on a couple of the items as they incorporate beads and pearls (the hallmark is on the clasp). Wouldn't annealing damage the hallmark?

It shouldn't - I usually anneal pieces before stone setting. Firecoated, of course.

Rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover?
    Whose two work removing Sharpie from furniture and fabric. (having kids is very educational )
    Lana.

How about a radial disk.

I usually give a straightforward polish with rouge, but that might mess up your pearls. if you don't need a mirror shine then a radial disk as Carole says works, but keep it well away from the pearls.

Annealing hasn't ever damaged any of my hallmarked bits and I have been known to solder after getting stuff hallmarked as well.

I use a fibre glass pencil for cleaning marking pen out of hallmarks, one of these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-183
    It leaves a slight matt finish, but I think that makes the hallmark stand out when the surround is polished up.

James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you can remove permanent markers with those alcohol hand rubs too. (and mek and acetone - although not advisable) It works on Ballpoint pen marks, come to think of it, for those who scribble notes on their hands.... hhmmmmmmmm, wonder how I know it works

nail varnish remover would be my first port of call, followed by (is it called) duraglit (the woolly silver cleaner in a tin??), then a gentle rub with a polishing cloth.