Thread: Reduction of the 7.78 limit for silver hallmarking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reduction of the 7.78 limit for silver hallmarking?

The Assay Office has just posted this on their facebook page.

The Goldsmiths' Company Assay Office
    Deputy Warden's Comment of the Week

Given the high price of silver, and the need for consumer protection, should we reduce the silver exemption weight of 7.78 grams?
    What say you?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest - I already have hallmarked silver items that are below the limit as a matter of course. I work on the belief that a hallmark increases the perceived value to a customer.

what Peter said.

I suppose it'd affect hobbyists quite a bit. Are there any here?

How do you define hobbyist?
    I only do this part-time, some are happy to describe me as a hobbyist. HMRC isn't

It would affect me badly as most of my work has to be got out within a week. I stockpile hallmarked heavier things ready to be finished off, but it's a relief when I don't have to get lighter things hallmarked. It would also increase the price considerably and unfortunately Notonthehighstreet is very price sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest - I already have hallmarked silver items that are below the limit as a matter of course. I work on the belief that a hallmark increases the perceived value to a customer.
    Same here. Anything over 3gms. I have to post my items so I make sure it's a good parcel. London turn mine around in a week

Hmmm I'm not sure how I feel about this. A lot of my designs are so small that hallmarking just isn't practical but I can't see how reducing the limit slightly will cause too many problems. Perhaps reduce to 6g?

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Hmmm I'm not sure how I feel about this. A lot of my designs are so small that hallmarking just isn't practical but I can't see how reducing the limit slightly will cause too many problems. Perhaps reduce to 6g?
    hmmm it's true most of my stuff weighs quite a lot anyway, but for people making small stuff... well it would cut into profits. That said I do know a few makers who never mark any of their stuff ever, regardless of weight, so I guess a good number of people would just carry on regardless.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I am with Peter on this one and send most of mine off for marking - in the long run it is more cost effective to send more than less.... weird but true. Even ear wires / posts can get hallmarked now by laser.