Thread: Gold plating prices...Help!!

Question Gold plating prices...Help!!

Hi there

I recently got some sterling chains plated (22.5ct at 2 microns) and they came back SO expensive, I just wondered if anyone could advice if this was over priced or not?

They were all filed curb, prices including VAT were:
    Large 30" (1.59mm width) = £30
    Medium 26" (1.37mm width) = £26
    Small 20" (1.05mm width) = £17.40
    X Small 18" (1.05mm width) = £16.20

This just seemed awfully expensive in comparison to other items I've had plated in the past!! I sent them in 'bulk' thinking it would bring the price down for each one...and I know filed curb is a more dense chain, but still wasn't expecting them to come out at this sort of price.

Also if anyone knows any good, reliable but cheap platers I'd really appreciate any help/advice/info for any of this.

Thanks very much

Was this chain you had made yourself? Otherwise it might have been cheaper to buy it in as vermeil...?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Was this chain you had made yourself? Otherwise it might have been cheaper to buy it in as vermeil...?
    Hiya...

No it was just bought chain, fairly thin filed curb. Do you (or anyone) know when you can buy wholesale vermeil chain from?

Just confused as to why the playing was that much!

Thanks.

Hi
    I have some smaller chain in gold and rose gold vermeil in stock, and could probably get some different on my next buying trip to Hong Kong - pm or email me
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Yep, it would probably be more cost effective to buy ready made vermeil chain. Vermeil is supposed to have at least 2.5 microns of gold but this isn't always the case so it's definitely good to use a reputable supplier

I don't buy pre-made vermeil chain so I don't have any supplier suggestions but my thoughts are that it would almost certainly be cheaper to buy the chains in instead of getting them plated.

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Yep, it would probably be more cost effective to buy ready made vermeil chain. Vermeil is supposed to have at least 2.5 microns of gold but this isn't always the case so it's definitely good to use a reputable supplier

I don't buy pre-made vermeil chain so I don't have any supplier suggestions but my thoughts are that it would almost certainly be cheaper to buy the chains in instead of getting them plated.

Okay great, thank you. I will have a look in to buying vermeil chain instead then. I did have a look a while back but with no luck! It's a bit tricky because I've already decided on exact sizes/lengths/type etc so to find the exact same thing might be tricky.

Thanks again!