Thread: tumblers n polishers

Default tumblers n polishers

howdy, I'm in the market for a polisher, and I'm trying to work out what kind to get. I'd like a magnetic one eventually, but I'm not able to afford one just yet, so right now I'm trying to decide between and rotary and a vibratory polisher. I'd love to hear your opinions on both kinds, and what sort of stuff you use them for, plus any specific models you'd recommend.

Does anyone have more than one polisher for different kinds of work, or is there one machine that suits everything?

Looking forward to your ideas,

thanks!

I have worked in this trade for 52 years now and have only ever used a bench mounted rotary polisher for all polishing jobs. A cheap way to start is with one of these Silverline sets. You get a grinder and a polisher with all this gear, plus delivery for just under £50, see; http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co...polishing-kit/

James

ooh, thanks James! that looks a great little machine. Is it not best to use some kind of tumbler thing for delicate wire or thin, spindly pieces though? Whenever I've tried to polish such things on a bench polisher, I've just ended up either mangling the piece out of shape or flinging it across the room. Admittedly, this could just be my questionable technique.
    Also for findings, earring wires and such, I thought a tumbler hardened them as well as polished?

cheers.

Maybe if you specify the type of work you do, then we can provide the best advice.
    Poor old Les

happily, though I really am interested in what people use the different machines for.

I've got a few different ranges, including some fairly intricate wire work, but I also make lockets and other hinged pieces as well as some sculptural bits. It's quite broad, hence me asking for a general overview of what polishers you all use and favour, and the differences between them as you understand it. I realise there's no 'best' kind though, it's all very subjective, I just appreciate your insights.

I use a tumbler for some textured pieces and chains but I use a Foredom bench polisher when I want a high shine.

Quote Originally Posted by madsally View Post
    happily, though I really am interested in what people use the different machines for.

I've got a few different ranges, including some fairly intricate wire work, but I also make lockets and other hinged pieces as well as some sculptural bits. It's quite broad, hence me asking for a general overview of what polishers you all use and favour, and the differences between them as you understand it. I realise there's no 'best' kind though, it's all very subjective, I just appreciate your insights.
    In my past career I worked for two of London's major goldsmith companies providing stock for Cartier, Asprey and Garrard. Both of our workshops had dedicated polishing workshops manned by professional polishers. Neither of these workshops ever used tumblers. All work was polished by hand on bench mounted standard rotary machines and also hand held flex drive machines, so that the polishers could see what was happening.

James