Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A super simple method to 'cast' simple shapes

Thank you Anna. There are plenty of cuttlefish on ebay under pet category. I'm pretty sure that local pet store has it.

Thanks for posting Emily - I've been experimenting with cuttlefish recently; I'm getting mixed results, the only consistent thing so far is the smell!! I came across a lot of washed up cuttlefish on a local beach - I didn't manage to find any sea glass which is what I had been looking for but at least I didn't come home empty handed

I am finding the cuttlefish texture shows quite a lot on the pieces I've made so am going to try 'pushing down' (not a technical term I know!) the design before melting the silver

I apologise for the not so clear pictures, I've been having a fight with my DSLR...I've not used it in such a long time I'm having to use automatic settings and I couldn't seem to get a sharp picture.

These are the little heart studs I make using the charcoal 'casting' method. They're very dainty, only about 4mm in diameter. As you can see, they're very simple which is why they're so great to make with the charcoal. I've also made little stars and simple roses using this method. I'll post some more pics when I get them.

I've tried cuttlefish casting once before, I need to try it again.

Louisella, I believe "squishing" is the correct technical terminology

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frostedheart3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	4465

I take my doggies down to the local beach most weekends and find cuttlefish. I have some at home if anyone wants them for just the postage, I can normally get more if the tide is right. PM me with your address.

Aww Pat! I've always wanted to live by the sea, I love treasure hunting on the beach. I'm not sure cuttlefish are technically considered treasure but it's much cheaper than buying them!

Emily, How can you squish more than one heart from one impression, or does too much charcoal pull away? Dennis.

Trouble is that I love the colour of shells so end up bringing back loads of them. We live in Exeter and go to Exmouth which is about 10 miles away, but if the tide is coming in at the time I take the dogs out, you cant get around the headland, otherwise there is only a small area of beach you can walk dogs, in the summer. in the winter you have miles of beach but its normally really windy so not much fun. I have always lived in South Devon, I was born here and have never lived outside Devon, furtherest away from where I was born is where I live now, Exeter !!!!!! I lived about 500 yards from the beach all my childhood years so went swimming in the sea at around April and was still there until it got too cold to come out and get dressed, usually November.

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Aww Pat! I've always wanted to live by the sea, I love treasure hunting on the beach. I'm not sure cuttlefish are technically considered treasure but it's much cheaper than buying them!

Emily,
    your hearts are tiny, and I carved generous hole. I dropped 2mm cz, got something melted.
    However I got what James told about casting investment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1446.jpg   DSCN1452.jpg  

If I'm careful, I can get around two or three hearts out of each carving before the charcoal is completely useless. Sometimes the silver/gold gets itself jammed inside the carving so you have to destroy a bit of the surrounding block. I just make sure to use a decent amount of borax powder and make sure not to overheat the silver/gold. I "squish" the metal down with the steel block when the metal is not molten but glowing and still fairly malleable. Does that make sense? Also, I sometimes use a little bit too much silver/gold scrap on purpose so I get a tiny little 'lip' around the top of the carving when I've squished it. This way, I can grab onto the excess metal and pull it with tweezers. It's easy to remove afterwards. Like I said before, this is by no means a perfect or accurate method of casting but it's fun and simple.

Pat, I know what you mean. I'm a magpie and I love shells and beach stones. The only thing I don't like bringing back from the beach is sand, especially when it's trapped in unspeakable places!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBouillon View Post
    Emily,
    your hearts are tiny, and I carved generous hole. I dropped 2mm cz, got something melted.
    However I got what James told about casting investment.
    heh, that looks a bit like my first go with PMC