Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best place for newbie to buy cabochons please?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

You know that phrase "kids in a sweetie shop"?

Make mine a rainbow sherbert, with a sprinkling of.....

I do indeed - I have accidentally lost the afternoon and many, many pounds. (Not the kind I particularly need to lose either).
    I almost exclusively use cabs - I buy cheap cabs for practice/teaching bezel setting from manchester minerals, have found their special stone list hit and miss. Example, I bought two 6mm emerald cabs - one was small (about 4.7mm but breathtakingly clear and a beautiful, beautiful classic emerald green. The other as opaque, big brown inclusions, irregularly shaped and frankly - a bit manky. I also use a.e. ward, kernowcraft for specifics and they are great at pair matching, have Marcia Lanyon on stand by (never seem to have the sizes I'm after but have some nice bullet cabs right now) and am now looking forward to seeing what my little list from Gem Collector looks like!

Oh god, I'm too scared to look!

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Have some nice bullet cabs right now
    Can you set them so they don' wobble though, LydiaNiz?

Have been to AE Ward today. They have quite a small showroom and there was a heaving mass of humanity and five people serving. You can take it that it indicates a new prosperity, because I've never seen it like that. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.

there's the rub! I've got it down to a teeeeeeeeeny wibble now - it is a tricky one! I'm feeling fairly optimistic making-wise too, a couple of lovely 'just do what you do' commissions and a cheque from the gallery sales that went awol turned up, so as well as the cabs I've treated myself too, am finally going to have a proper crack at keum boo (I've done lots of different ways with gold and silver, but want to try the foil method now).

Dennis - that's an unfortunate name, I thought you had been injured until I realised no 'and'
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Yes I read it quickly and thought that.

Well what a laugh. It never occurred to me, but I expect Wards get tired of the joke. Mind you I could have been injured in the crush. D.

I have just received my first small 'test order' from the gemcollector site recommended on here. The stones are lovely and beautifully presented (nicer than advertised - I got a few welo opals, emerald cab, an unusual amethyst for a friend's wedding band and some kyanite) all of them came in a little suede pouch, with seperate gempot. They came with labels for the pots with the stones image and specifics on, a velvet lined box for the gempots themselves, and a little book on gemstones. Will def. use them again - so thank you!

At the risk of being hypocritical - "this thread is worthless without pics"