Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must have burs?

Wallace is a "she" actually, very helpful girl, learnt a lot from her.

I have a couple of inverted cone burrs in 1.2mm - 2.1mm sizes. I also have cylinder burrs in the usual calibrated cabochon sizes and they work great for tube setting my cabs.

That setting punch set (stone setting system) that you listed is quite useful, in my opinion. It isn't necessary and you can definitely do without it but the bezel closing punches do speed things up a little if you're setting lots of standard round stones. I own the set and I do use it all the time just to finish setting my round stones. It's more of a luxury than a necessity though

Ah yes, the US health care system...well...I won't even get started on that! I'm not a fan of having to pay the TV license but I'm proud of our little old NHS, even if it does have serious flaws. I wouldn't be here without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post

I agree, Wallace is a star

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Ooops...
    Wallace, your professional image looks so masculine

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    I have a couple of inverted cone burrs in 1.2mm - 2.1mm sizes. I also have cylinder burrs in the usual calibrated cabochon sizes and they work great for tube setting my cabs.
    Thank you, I will check inverted and cylinder burs.

That setting punch set (stone setting system) that you listed is quite useful, in my opinion. It isn't necessary and you can definitely do without it but the bezel closing punches do speed things up a little if you're setting lots of standard round stones. I own the set and I do use it all the time just to finish setting my round stones. It's more of a luxury than a necessity though
    Got it. I'm not going to set lots of round stones, at least for now. Nice tool to have one day.

Ah yes, the US health care system...well...I won't even get started on that! I'm not a fan of having to pay the TV license but I'm proud of our little old NHS, even if it does have serious flaws. I wouldn't be here without it.
    Don't make envious Our health insurance keeps getting more expensive, and the conditions are worse.
    I know people who go abroad for serious diagnoses and treatment, it's better and cheaper. It's better stay healthy here.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBouillon View Post
    What do you think about this stone setting system? Must have or don't really need?http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sto.../113221?Pos=10

These cups come in two shapes and as you can see they are only meant for round stones:

The shallow variety will only close prongs, or the collets around faceted stones.

The deeper variety will close and perfect the roundness of collets for cabochons as well, but the amount of pressure required means that most persons simply do not have the strength for lager stones, say above 4.0mm and you risk distorting delicate work if you try.

Another problem is that without great care the rims of these cups will descend onto the work and cut unintended curved grooves in the surface.

I have occasionally mounted one in a motor and used it to burnish a collet at speed, but that is a fairly risky business. Dennis

I have a set of bezel closers. I have never used them to close a bezel... I *do* use them as an aid for stone layout on plates though - as Dennis says, they'll cut a groove.

I have some of those too, can you explain what you mean please "stone layout on plates", and what do you cut a groove in. I have used them on small tube settings, they work ok, and for me seem to make the finish a bit smoother. I set the stone first, then rub over after I have made sure the stone is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I have a set of bezel closers. I have never used them to close a bezel... I *do* use them as an aid for stone layout on plates though - as Dennis says, they'll cut a groove.
    Last edited by Patstone; 01-03-2013 at 03:53 PM.

If I'm laying out e.g. 2mm stones on a piece for pave setting, I'll use the 2mm bezel closer to rock lines onto the plate (as opposed to the method of sticking all your stones on with beeswax to get the layout right).

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    These cups come in two shapes and as you can see they are only meant for round stones:
    The shallow variety will only close prongs, or the collets around faceted stones.

Thank you, Dennis. Maybe I will get it one day.