Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must have burs?

As you will read all other suggestions, I am sure that you will realize that you cannot have too many different shapes and sizes of burrs. As Peter says you will find that most setters will also use gravers for trimming settings, before and after setting the stones. A good polished face flat graver or as we Brits call them scorpers, used for bright cutting between setting claws or beads can make a setting gleam.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    As you will read all other suggestions, I am sure that you will realize that you cannot have too many different shapes and sizes of burrs. James
    Yes. I also realized that everyone has own preferences and I don't have my own yet
    When I entered this jewelry making territory, I had no idea that I will be pretty much on my own because everyone uses own different style, has own preferences and tools.
    I need my coffee and start thinking all over what I do need

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Sounds like a trip to Florida coming on Wallace, I remember when I asked the same questions.
    So, he came to you? I don't mind, Wallace, get the tickets before summer starts!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    ...as we Brits call them scorpers...
    Mea culpa
    I talk to more US engravers than UK ones...

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    You don't really need lots of different cup burrs, I get along with just 1.2mm and 2mm, but that's just me

I have the sets of 23 and 14 ball burrs from rio grande and they have lasted me a loooooong time.

Don't despair though, I don't know whether you have to pay extra sales tax but at least you don't have to pay import VAT and customs fees on them. Us poor souls in the UK usually get a nice little card through the door telling us that we need to pay some crazy amount before we can get our nice parcel full of tools delivered. That said, it still works out cheaper for me to buy the sets from rio and they have larger sizes available (sorry Cookies lol).

I would definitely recommend getting a few single inverted cone burrs or cylinder burrs for when you're tube setting cabochons, it saves so much faffing around trying to get the pesky cabs to sit still.
    What size of inverted cone burs do you use, and for what stone sizes?

I do have local supplier here, so I can skip postage, but I have to pay 7% state sales tax. So, it pretty much depends which supplier has an assortment I need and the weight of the package. Riogrande usually wins on small things. And the local supplier was good on heavy things (like rolling mill), and the opportunity to look at tools in person, not only online.

Your taxes are crazy, I heard you even pay tax for having TV. So far it's cheaper to start jewelry making here for sure. And I can hallmark my pieces myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBouillon View Post
    And I can hallmark my pieces myself.
    tempted to just pop corn at this!

Hallmarking isn't something you can do yourself, it's an official independent process which proves that say 18ct gold is in fact 18ct gold. I know in the US it's a different system and you can put 'responsibility' marks on items, but they shouldn't be confused with hallmarks.

and yes, our taxes probably do seem crazy to an American citizen, but if you factor in what you have to pay for decent health insurance, then it's probably on a par.

What do you think about this stone setting system? Must have or don't really need?

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sto.../113221?Pos=10

And gravers! They are not only in different shapes, but different sizes! How to choose one of each shape?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    if you factor in what you have to pay for decent health insurance, then it's probably on a par.
    Yep, we better not start about health insurance...I would gladly exchange our health care system for your TV tax
    There is no perfect country in the world.

Your taxes are crazy, I heard you even pay tax for having TV. So far it's cheaper to start jewelry making here for sure. And I can hallmark my pieces myself.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes our taxes are crazy, most things are cheaper for you in the USA and your tool suppliers are also stocking more items than most of ours. One thing I must correct you on, if you don't mind. You can mark your pieces, the term Hallmark refers to an official mark of metal purity given by the Goldsmith's Hall's Assay Offices. The rest of the world has just adopted the term Hallmark, which really means the Mark of the Hall, referring to the Goldsmith's Hall which has been going since 1327. Us London goldsmiths here in the UK refer to The Goldsmith's Hall as the Hall. See;http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/goldsmiths'-hall/
    and; http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welco...-assay-office/

Cheers, James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 01-03-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks James,
    I meant that I can stamp my jewelry with metal purity mark myself, but I'm legally responsible if I stamp higher karats on lower karat alloy or fake precious alloys.
    Thank you for interesting history tour.