Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should newbie include work hours in jewelry price?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Gosh, going by the replies I'm way under charging then :/ Thing is, going by todays economy if I did bring up my prices to match Peter's formula (just for example), the exact amount I would sell would be nothing =( Confused at how this works.
    It would also feel alittle cheeky as I'm not professionally trained.
    Thankyou for the thought provoking thread.

I saw you are selling lovely sterling silver ring for 7.50 pounds on your site.
    Go on etsy, type "sterling silver ring", click handmade and try to find the similar ring for $11 and change! Wow!
    That's the ebay price for unwanted things. Seriously.

Ones I tried to give away the tile on craigslist. For free.
    Never, ever again anything for free! I was flooded with requests, but no one came, just promised. I wasted my time answering tons of questions, like do you know what year is that tile? Do you know if it will be enough for my kitchen? The tile was worth more than 100 dollars, but I thought I want to get rid of it fast and don't want to deal with sales. Huge mistake!
    People acted like they are going to do me a big favor coming in. I've never had that situation selling things on craigslist!

You are giving away your silver ring almost for free in my opinion.
    Last edited by SilverBouillon; 26-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBouillon View Post
    I saw you are selling lovely sterling silver ring for 7.50 pounds on your site.
    Go on etsy, type "sterling silver ring", click handmade and try to find the similar ring for $11 and change! Wow!
    That's the ebay price for unwanted things. Seriously.
    Is that the Thorns ring? The first two sterling rings on the site weren't handmade =) I bought those in from a warehouse a long time before I started silverwork - those two are just run off the mill, mass produced items. I'm getting rid of all non handcrafted, and not sterling silver items from the site - hense the extra low price =D My Ankh necklace (the £24.99 one) should be atleast double that if I were to use Peter's formula. I don't have the confidence to know that someone would pay that much - I could probably bet my life I would never sell it for that much. Still, it's given me alot to think about though =)
    Sian Williamson

Ones I tried to give away the tile on craigslist. For free.
    Never, ever again anything for free! I was flooded with requests, but no one came, just promised. I wasted my time answering tons of questions, like do you know what year is that tile? Do you know if it will be enough for my kitchen? The tile was worth more than 100 dollars, but I thought I want to get rid of it fast and don't want to deal with sales. Huge mistake!
    People acted like they are going to do me a big favor coming in. I've never had that situation selling things on craigslist!

You are giving away your silver ring almost for free in my opinion.
    Haha! I hate people like that - they're tiles, for free! What more do they want?? They want you to go to their house and measure their kitchen for them too? =D
    This is where I get confused - people do act like they're doing you a favour when you give something away, almost grudgingly taking away something they got for free. Now, offer the same person a £150 silver necklace and they say "ohhh, bargain - I'll take two!!!" I don't get it :/
    Sian Williamson

Keia,
    ok, your cross is 45mm. Check this out. Just an example

http://www.etsy.com/listing/12274471...erling-silver?

Keia,
    ok, your cross is 45mm. Check this out. Just an example

http://www.etsy.com/listing/12274471...erling-silver?
    So, I'm not actually that far off with the pricing then? What's the silver exchange differance though in America compared the the UK? Might that be an extra factor to consider?

Edit - that cross is tiny in comparison, so my price should be double then! =O
    Sian Williamson

They want you to go to their house and measure their kitchen for them too? =D
    This is where I get confused - people do act like they're doing you a favour when you give something away, almost grudgingly taking away something they got for free. Now, offer the same person a £150 silver necklace and they say "ohhh, bargain - I'll take two!!!" I don't get it :/
    No kidding, I put all the size and quantity in my ad with plenty and the guy gave me the size of his kitchen and asked it will be enough. Because if it will not be enough, he is not coming!

I think we both, you and me, should do some pricing home work, should not we?

Yep, we're really needing to sort this because right now I feel like a dog chasing it's own tail ><
    Sian Williamson

What's the silver exchange differance though in America compared the the UK?
    Yours is hand made in Europe. It's so European. And it's hallmarked by certified establishment... (I start promoting you )

Yours is hand made in Europe. It's so European. And it's hallmarked by certified establishment... (I start promoting you )
    I've got alot of work to do on the website haven't I =p (and I'm not just talking about the awful photographs!)
    Sian Williamson

(and I'm not just talking about the awful photographs!)
    I thought that your cross is small before I read it's 45mm. That picture somehow makes it looking tiny in my opinion.