Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hinges

Default Hinges

For almost two years I have struggled to make a hinge for a locket I started to make when I attended my beginners course, the lady teaching the course had no idea how to make one so i left it, and have had several attempts to make it, and put it in my "to do later" box. My skills and confidence have improved a bit so I took it out to have another go at it today. Eventually I managed to solder the tube on, but did it in one piece and tried to cut it after, that didnt work very well, but not really bothered whether it looks ok, as long as it actually works. I would love to know the easiest and correct way of making a hinge because one day I would like to make another locket. I have a lot of books but they dont make much sense. Any help would be appreciated.

May I ask what shape and size your locket is?

James

its round and about 3cm across

I have been wanting to try making a hinged locket for a while, I'd love some advise on this too!

I have done a sketch, I hope it makes sense. If not let me know.
    Hinges are easier if you have the correct files and a joint filing tool, but if you are not fussy about the hinge quality then you can do without a joint filing tool:http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-596
    A correct size joint file is a parallel round file that is the same diameter as the tube you are using, or slightly smaller;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-564
    You can cut a groove with a half round scorper or file it roughly with a round needle file if you are not fussy. File the grooves to a depth that is half the diameter of the tube, cut three tube lengths, one shorter than the other two, solder the shortest tube onto one side, pickle and clean, then use this half to position the other two tubes before soldering them in place.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	326 simple locket hinge.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	4419

A quick question, James, The soldered bearer wire is the part which is filed away and which you solder the tube to? Sorry if it's a really stupid and obvious question.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    A quick question, James, The soldered bearer wire is the part which is filed away and which you solder the tube to? Sorry if it's a really stupid and obvious question.
    Yes, it's called a bearer wire in the trade, it may be easier to call it the tube supporter wire.
    I looked through my photos and this apple I made shows an example of the bearer wires and tubes.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018- Apple suprise.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	4420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	4421
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 24-02-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Hello James, thanks for the information, but what should it look like from the outside. I thought lockets had the hinge on the outside.
    I have never heard of bearer wire before, and I wouldnt know how to fit it. Does it go inside the locket halves, or fit just in one half. In one of the books I have it shows a locket side view with a "V" carved into it where the tube part of the hinge is to go, but I tried it and it didnt work, well not for me anyway. Thank you for trying to help me, sorry but I dont really understand.

I tried to get a photo but it wont download for some reason.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hello James, thanks for the information, but what should it look like from the outside. I thought lockets had the hinge on the outside.
    I have never heard of bearer wire before, and I wouldnt know how to fit it. Does it go inside the locket halves, or fit just in one half. In one of the books I have it shows a locket side view with a "V" carved into it where the tube part of the hinge is to go, but I tried it and it didnt work, well not for me anyway. Thank you for trying to help me, sorry but I dont really understand.
    Hi Pat,

there is a great (and fun) video by Nancy L T Hamilton - she has a variety of things to watch and learn by.... here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxkp260Ox8
    and the video - worth a watch.

kindest

Wallace