Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a metal leaf

James, *when* are we going to see all these how-to drawings in a nice binding? Please?

Peter, do you have snipping tool on your computer. Its symbol is a pair of scissors over a circle, its a brilliant bit of kit. I use it mainly for recipes, but you can use it for anything provided it will fit on the screen. I copied one of James's drawings that he sent to me of his clamps so that I could make them without fear of losing the drawing, I have also made notes of all the tips basically because I have a crap memory and dont want to keep asking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    James, *when* are we going to see all these how-to drawings in a nice binding? Please?

I know this is an old post, but after seeing one of your posts, i scrolled through some of the topics you covered, and i REALLY want to play around with some copper shapes. I no longer have my pitch bowl, so just wondered what you were using as a support to dome your leaves? It looks like a block of lead, but wanted to know if you could let me know what it is and where i could buy it from? Thanks so much, Sue

Yes Sue I do use a block of lead, I make my own ingots by melting scrap lead into an ingot mold, but if you want ready made lead ingots you can buy them from Amazon, see; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Lead-I.../dp/B00CKNLYB4 or from eBay;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrap-Lead...-/131670602285

You can also shape copper by hammering it into hollows cut in a wooden block.

This shows my lead block and ingot, when the block needs re melting after it has been used a lot I just stand it in the ingot mold and heat it with my Seivert gas torch and it melts into the mold quite easily, leave it to cool down the tap it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17a Lead block&Ingot mold.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	9517

James

Perfect. Thank you James. I think i'll go the way of ordering one lump rather than buying the mold aswell.
    I've just ordered some titanium strips from Tam too. So helpful. Thank you.