Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Making a silver ball pendant

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Didi,

that is spectacular - what a lot of work to do and such a great demo for us to learn by too.

Trialuser, you're having a laugh _ one handed? Nearly needed a forklift! Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to do it RIGHT at the bottom if the garden
    Didi

Wallace, thank you, and thanks to everyone for your kindness. It was a lot of work but I learnt so much, and more.
    Didi

One final tip Didi, when you do get round to using your lead block, please remember to clean your shaped metals after using the lead block, especially if you are going to anneal when shaping, as any lead scraps will melt onto metal and even eat into them when you anneal. So keeping clean is important when using lead.
    Another place I have bought cheap hammers for re shaping is Shesto, their small hammers are only about £5 and are great for changing into various shapes and textures;
    http://www.shesto.co.uk/Jewellers-Tools/c91/index.html

James

Ha Didi! That is delightful! Thanks for posting your step by step...adventure in silver!

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    It was really easy! I think I'm getting an inkling of what I missed at school. We girls did needlework and domestic science. Going to order some rods next. Tool making here I come!
    Thanks to both you and Peter
    Didi
    Same here Didi, we weren't allowed to do metalwork or woodwork, seems such old fashioned thinking now! Only just found this thread. Thank you for putting it up, you must be very pleased with it. Did you find the piercing hard? I've never done any on a domed surface, must have a try.

Thanks James for all the pictures and links. I have learnt so much since joining the forum. Messy workbench, I don't think so it looks very organised compared with my tip!

Hi There
    Katia - thanks - any more thoughts on soldering?
    Anna - I dont find piercing hard exactly, time consuming certainly, and to start with you go through loads of saw blades. Sawing a domed surface isn't any harder then a flat sheet just more awkward and you have to watch for the saw accidently catching another part if the piece. It can be tricky drilling the holes for the saw but as long as you punch a good starting mark the drill is less inclined to go wandering.
    Didi

Default :D

wow thats gorgeous!!!

Mallitta,