Thread: Re-Sizing The Ring.

Default Re-Sizing The Ring.

Most of what I make is distributed among my family, so inevitably some swapping goes on. In the case of this ring I was roped in to downsize it and reducing the complex shank was easy enough. But the stone was well embedded in the setting so that nothing short of sawing the metal to bits would release it.

The rectangular green tourmaline had an interesting history, which I wrote about before, in that it started off much longer. Shortly after getting it home a small corner dropped off and to rectify this Wards reduced it quite drastically, presumably because there were more cracks involved. To keep some of the attraction of a long rectangle I now made a new longer mount, extended with textured metal.

So here it is re-made. As my first teacher used to say ‘It’ the learning curve’. Well I’ve learned how to do it now. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gt Green ring First Version.jpg   gt Shank Resized.jpg   gt Remade Green Tormaline Ring.jpg  

I always love seeing your work Dennis - beautiful in both incarnations!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I'm the proud owner of one of Dennis' creations and must say that the photographs - although great as they are, don't do his work any justice atall!
    Excellent craftmanship as always Dennis =)
    Sian Williamson

Thank you Anne and Sian.

really pretty ring, but then I love green. Out of curiosity, is it expensive getting chipped stones re-done? I have some aquamarines and I noticed one has a chip on the corner. Small, but there.

From memory it was about £20 at Wards Liz and they do quote first, but I went a bit hot and cold when I saw how short it ended up. Moral: inspect with a loupe before you buy. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    From memory it was about £20 at Wards Liz and they do quote first, but I went a bit hot and cold when I saw how short it ended up. Moral: inspect with a loupe before you buy. Dennis
    Oooooooh YeS!! and take your time..............
    ................expensive lessons learnt