Thread: Rather pleased with this :)

The Weirdly Wonderful Isle and Royal Manor of Portland

Default Rather pleased with this :)

Just had to share this little 'invention' - I think it may need a modification to stop stuff falling off the front but has certainly stopped my having to scrabble around on my hands and knees to find bits that have escaped my bench peg

I found that I had to practically sit on the floor to use the peg attached to my bench so raised it up onto its own platform and purchased an under shelf basket which can be pushed under the bench and out of the way when not in use - and it only cost £5 YAY !!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0593.jpg  

I see that you have a cut out on your bench, so why not just nail a bench skin across the cut out. For years now I have just used this type for a traditional type bench skin;1 Metre wide Vinyl Leatherette Faux leather Upholstery Fabric, available from Amazon for about £10 per metre.

My bench showing the leatherette bench skin;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022- Jim's workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	4249

James

Tried that and ended up in a similar position to the one I get in when I'm trying to change a quilt cover. Problem is, my bench is far too low and my gas torch is stored under it. I also got into an epic mess when trying to load the washing machine Luckily I have found a use for the lovely piece of red leather I bought - it's made an 'absolutely fabulous' handbag.

Thank you for the pic though James - what I wouldn't give for a lovely big window like that

That's a great work free solution bp, and it looks as if there is about enough room for piecing when your bench peg is in place. Perhaps some members would like a link to where you bought the basket?

If the height of your bench remains a problem, I suggest you browse B&Q for some heavy timber, say 6"x4". Two pieces under the legs, one on each side, held in place with steel brackets and screws would do the trick. Some branches will even cut it for you. Dennis.

[QUOTE=Dennis;53258]That's a great work free solution bp, and it looks as if there is about enough room for piecing when your bench peg is in place. Perhaps some members would like a link to where you bought the basket?

These baskets are available from Amazon in all shapes and sizes, just write; Under Shelf Storage Basket in the search area.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post

My bench showing the leatherette bench skin;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022- Jim's workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	4249
    James - never mind the bench skin, I'm extremely envious of your tool collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's a great work free solution bp, and it looks as if there is about enough room for piecing when your bench peg is in place. Perhaps some members would like a link to where you bought the basket?
    I bought mine from one of those out of town 'value' centres.

I'm having a giggle at your pottery mugs with the faces on. I remember when I was young my parents had some of those. They were about 20 years old when I was little! =D
    Sian Williamson

I love them too - I found them in a charity shop about 10 years ago together with a salt and pepper pot (originally from Pretty Ugly Pottery in Wales) and they always make me smile.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0630.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	4323

Quote Originally Posted by bilythepink View Post
    Just had to share this little 'invention'
    What's a simple but brilliant idea! I have regular shape table, and I could not figure out the best way to catch metal dust and scrap. You got it!
    Thank you!