Thread: Cookson value rolling mill help

Default Cookson value rolling mill help

Hi all, I'm looking to start making rings at home in my garage come workshop. I can make workable ingots elsewhere but need a rolling mill to work them. I've taken a look at the Cookson value one, but I'm not sure if it's up to the task.

Would it be suitable for making rings? If not, what would you suggest?

Hello Guy. Rolling mills will make sheet and wire from ingots, but the best wire is made with draw plates, once the mill has reduced it to manageable size. The best starting point for most wires is the square one. Using the mill alone, this can of course be carefully rolled to be rectangular, for ring shanks.

Which rolling mill you choose will be governed by your purse, but the consensus is that a even small Durston, with gears beats all the others.
    Regards, Dennis.

Can't be a lot of help here due to very little experience with other mills but my purse could only stretch to the Cookson value mill. This is only the second mill I have used the other being a large one of undefined manufacture at my local night school the only difference I have found between the two is that mine will only open up to 3mm and of course its working width is smaller. I am very pleased with the value mill it appears to be well built and very sturdy. It has done everything I have asked of it so far and hopefully will continue to do so for many years. Just to clarify I am a hobbyist so it may not get the use that it would in a pro workshop.

Carl