Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone and Setting fitting?

Default Stone and Setting fitting?

I bought a Tanzanite stone, measuring 7.79 X 7.69, trillion cut, and also bought a white gold claw setting for a 8mm stone, will this fit together ok?

Thank you,

Kk

Without seeing the setting, I'd assume it would fit, although seating the stone might be less positive; it's possible the setting might need tweaking slightly to make it smaller. Depends on the tolerances on the setting. Without having both items side by side it's difficult to be certain though - it's something where I'd probably prefer to make the setting from scratch to fit the stone.

As you've already discovered Kk, stones are rarely symmetrical or of the exact size stated. Also bought settings are cast and not easily tweaked. I am with Peter in suggesting that in future you think of learning to make your own.

In fact I would go further and say that to begin with you consider rub-down collets, because all you need is the acquired skill, some thin metal sheet, and the right shape of collet mandrel. They are simpler to make and more attractive than ill fitting claws. Dennis.

By "tweak", I am thinking in terms of cut & resolder rather than bend to shape.

can you not just melt some more white gold and melt it on like you would for making a ring a larger size? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!jkE8F-NPZZdBPOdB5wFh!~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	4253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6570a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4254

Well, you could perhaps build up the setting with a laser or a pulse welder - not that I have either, personally. If I'm sizing a ring up, I'd cut it, insert a piece and solder it; I'm not quite clear what you mean by melting some more gold on?

Is that ring the setting you've bought?

yeh and what i meant was that like if you melt some gold, and put some round the edge where the stone sits then finish it and polish it back up so its just that little bit smaller, then extend the prongs so that they reach properly.

Not sure how you'd do that with all those stones already set though?

Just as an aside, I think I'd get the setting assayed before putting anything into it. I know a lot of people who've been badly stung by Chinese '14k white' settings not being quite what they appear. If the stone's from the same source, it might be worth having that checked as well.

I've already checked it, its solid white gold, i payed a lot so if it wasnt then i would be sueing for false advertising, the stone is from a very reputable company in america, also payed a lot for that, its all real, i just didn't think 0.2-0.3mm would matter that much.

I'm pleased it's what you expected. Out of curiosity, can I ask how you had it tested?