Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone and Setting fitting?

local jeweller appraisel for the setting, and a seperate jeweller for the tanzanite, I just a bit worried about getting it put together, due to the difference of size, I've yet to go searching properly mainly due to my job, I haven't had time since i live fairly far from the city. hence ive just been asking around, many people have replyed to my emails saying they'd need to see them together, so it's really when i have time, but i just thought i'd have a go at seeing if anyone on google could tell without actually looking.

If you've got both, drop the stone into the setting and post a close up. I hadn't realised from the brief look it's a part-set piece (lousy monitor earlier); that makes any modification to the setting much trickier.

my camara is far too blurry, it just looks like a mess you cannot see anything, the setting is hand crafted by the way and not cast, does this make it easier?

Yes.....should do, if you can go back to the person who 'hand-crafted' it for you........

I'm sorry kittykatt, but this may be a very expensive lesson......just because an item is quoted as 'hand-crafted' doesn't mean that actual one was 'made-by-hand' individually.........but the original (1,000....10,000.....+) back was......

An original handmade setting with stones already in is a nightmare to adjust.......(please feel free to correct me folks)..........., especially adjusting the setting in an already partially set ring

Not very positive, sorry,........think you'd be better talking to someone in person......

Best of luck xx

Are you a jeweller Kittykat? If not, I think I'd take the ring to someone who's used to setting stones and ask them to set it for you.

no im not, i was going to go to a jeweller any way i just wanted to know if it could be done before i make the hour and a half journey to the city to find a jeweller, but seriously, its the size of a strand of hair, im pretty sure not all stones are size perfect!

With most commercially available gemstones, you can expect to have minor size differences even with calibrated stones but even 0.1mm can make a huge difference when it comes to setting a stone. I don't use pre-made settings because most stones simply won't fit in them. Unless the setting is spot on, the stone may not be fully supported or may simply be impossible to set. It's not worth damaging an expensive stone trying to fit it into an mis-sized setting or vice versa. For trillions I would always make my own setting because they vary so much in shape and dimensions. Definitely take it to a jeweller and see what they say but judging by your pictures, they would need to somehow modify the existing setting (difficult to say the least with the pre-set stones) or create a setting from scratch.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but don't give up! When you get a chance, take it to a good jeweller and see what they have to say. Without physically examining the setting and the stone they won't be able to tell you what needs to be done

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat7210 View Post
    ...but seriously, its the size of a strand of hair, im pretty sure not all stones are size perfect!
    Human hair is generally in the order of 50 microns in diameter. This stone is asymmetric and has approximately a 4% difference to the quoted size of setting - if that is accurate. Given the source, I'd measure carefully before relying on it.

The human eye's a funny thing - set a line of stones with one 0.1mm out and it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

I've been doing a bit more digging on this. A ring from the same supplier is being sold at slightly below the materials cost of doing it properly (i.e. decent quality stones & known alloy). So, given the price of gold is pretty much fixed worldwide, the price of diamonds similarly (I'm pretty much ignoring the coloured stone in the example I've looked at - it's negligible), there are labour costs involved (yes, it's China so labour costs are lower - but they still exist) - where do people think the "economising" is taking place?

It's the usual story - if something seems too good to be true, it isn't. Buy mass-produced, imported tat and you'll get what you pay for.