Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat pendant.

Default Cat pendant.

Well, here I am , posting pictures of a very simple pendant when everyone here is doing a lot more complicated stuff! But I am so excited to have for the very first time sawn in SILVER!!!( well. Actually it is " Reflections" silver...)

This pendant is for my mum's birthday. I have realised that maybe next time I should pierce the hole and saw around it. Or maybe soldering a small ring would be better?

Also I have not used any files on this yet, but will on Friday to correct the shape a bit, when I should receive them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 380671653.196338.jpg   380671908.885164.jpg  
    Last edited by Katia; 23-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Aww such a cute little cat! I just had a thought, it would make a sweet necklace if you cut out a little butterfly shape too and attached it with a jump ring to make it look like it was chasing the butterfly

It looks really neat even though you haven't filed it yet. Just out of interest, which files did you order? I recently invested in some vallorbes and they are like the rolls royce of needle files!

I love the idea of adding a butterfly. Well done on the piercing.

hi Emily!

Yes, the butterfly idea is absolutely fantastic! I will try it though it might be a challenge as it will be so small, but I love challenges.
    I am ordering Vallorbe files, they are in my Cookson's cart at this very moment. They indeed are the creme de la creme of files, quite dear but apparently will last for a very long time.
    I must also order some sterling silver chain/ necklace. Must try and order a not too chunky one, which I think Is not that obvious . ( would rather see them in the flesh! When will they make 3D internet for us jewellers?)
    Last edited by Katia; 23-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Good job on the piercing - very cute.

Sonia
    x

nice work. and for a first go it's really impressive (Mine was so bad it was unrecognisable). are you going to engrave detail onto it?

So cute! I love cats.

Regarding the little ring, it would probably have been easier to drill the hole in the centre and then saw around it.

That's lovely

Mine would only ever do that for meat - never a butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    hi Emily!Yes, the butterfly idea is absolutely fantastic! I will try it though it might be a challenge as it will be so small .
    Shouldn't that read a Kat pendant? When you are piecing something very small it helps to:

1. Leave a little stem attached somewhere for holding it, which you don't cut off until the very end.
    2. Use a thinner saw-blade, say 5/0, treated gently and not too tight, as they are fragile.
    3. Make an extra hole in your bench peg, say about 13mm in diameter, with an exit slot for the saw blade, to support your work better. Dennis.

Thanks everybody for your kind words! I just am so excited about my journey into jewellery making. I really wish I had begun it wayyyyyyy earlier as there is so much to learn.

Thanks Dennis for your instructions, I am looking forwards to try cutting a tiny butterfly.

Something else that I am now wondering: I used a 0.5 cm thick sheet for this as I thought it would be the best idea for the size of the pendant. But I think that next time I will try something a bit thicker, like 0.7. I dunno...

Also, this sheet was annealed and I read that just the action of cutting it would work harden it. Can I ask you, is that really enough? Or is there another process I should do in order to harden it further?

Many thanks,

Katia

Ps Dennis: yes, true it really is a Kat pendant!
    medusa: I was thinking about maybe engraving a cat's paw on the back of the pendant!