Thread: 1mm thick Acrylic sheet - where to buy?

Default 1mm thick Acrylic sheet - where to buy?

Hi, does anybody know if 1mm acrylic sheet is possible to buy. Suppliers in UK & Ireland seem to only have 3mm or 5mm. I am looking for solid colours too which is making the search quite difficult.
    Any help that you can give me would be great!

Thanks
    Tracy

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Tracy

have you tried: http://www.alternativeplastics.co.uk/

they do 1mm, according to their blurb. http://www.alternativeplastics.co.uk...coloured-sheet

kindest,

Wallace

Thanks Wallace - I've just sent them an email - thank you. I have searched for hours for this. I'll let you know if they really do 1mm as I was looking at PVC foam instead but I have no idea if this has similar properties to acryclic in terms of jewellery making application.

Thanks for your help
    Tracy

The 4D Model shop have 1.0mm too, but only in clear. That said they do have coloured styrene in 1.0mm. Have a browse and give them a ring:

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/plastics-5-c.asp.

If you only need small quantities, consider the material CDs are made of and the clear one generally on the top of a pack. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Cool Acrylic

Hi Tracy

In what quantity's are we talking about ? I use it in some of the jewels i make and we have large sheets around the place in different colours, this is around 2 to 3 mm but I've been known to file (or linish) it down to the thickness i want then polish it to get it back to It's original state.

I'll try to get some info from our supplier and see what we have hanging around the place then I'll get back to you........
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Thanks Carlton,
    2mm might actually work if I can't get the 1mm. There are just so many kinds of plastic and i'm struggling to understand which could be used for jewellery! I'm hoping to develop a range of pieces using the acrylic so ideally i'd prefer not to have to file down the sheets - but it certainly is a good option if I can't get what i need.

Thanks for your help. I'll post what i find out from the suppliers i've contacted once I hear back from them.

all the best,
    Tracy

Dennis, I rang the model shop. Unfortunately styrene doesn't look as good as acrylic in particular around the edges so they recommended not to try it.

The 1mm in alternative plastics comes in fluorescent yellow and green only. I'm running out of ideas but haven't given up yet!

Thanks for all the input,
    Tracy

Hi Tracy

I've asked around and it's the same old story, most of these business's have gone to the wall, I've got various colours which (blue.yellow,red....) vary in thickness and you're welcome to some samples.
    An alternative which I have done in the past is to use cold resin, I'm not sure if this would be practical for you, I'll have another scout around on Monday and see what I come up with...

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Willow View Post
    Hi Tracy

I've asked around and it's the same old story, most of these business's have gone to the wall, I've got various colours which (blue.yellow,red....) vary in thickness and you're welcome to some samples.
    An alternative which I have done in the past is to use cold resin, I'm not sure if this would be practical for you, I'll have another scout around on Monday and see what I come up with...

Carlton
    Thanks so much Carlton. I think I've found a company in Italy and (i think - fingers crossed) one in the UK that can source 1mm-2mm acrylic but Italian company don't seem to have solid colours in stock and minimum orders are huge. Still waiting to hear from the UK company about whether they supply it and/orwhat they have in stock. They don't seem to move quickly, contacted them on thursday.

I will look into cold resin now - have to admit to knowing nothing about this but I will in an hour

I'm just trying to work on a prototype first (it would be great if it was successful but it's a bit premature to be investing in 80m2 of a particular colour! )!!

I might take you up on your offer of samples if my enquiries come to nothing, it that's ok with you - will arrange to pay whatever you need for it and the postage to ireland : P Thanks for your help!
    Tracy