Thread: What's in a name?

Default What's in a name?

I am not really sure as to where I should be writing this thread. I suppose that if I am in the wrong section of the forum, this will simply be moved!

So I am a self employed hand engraver. For many years, I worked exclusively for the London gun trade.
    2 years ago I was approached by different trades to engrave on other...media ( watches, putterheads,etc)
    I have always worked on commission but what I really would like to start doing now is work on my own creations.
    That is part of the reason why I have started making jewellery.
    First I decided to start with beaded jewellery, so last year I opened a small online shop and a FB page. People bought from there. I then decided to buy wire, then tools,...then started to think that I could maybe make my own metal jewellery and adorn it with my engraving! Living the dream, making a whole product from start to finish.
    I would very much like to start selling that metal jewellery.
    But now I am faced with what I believe is a major problem. i have absolutely no idea as to how I should call it! The problem I have is...my name.
    If you where to google it, the first thing that comes up is my gun engraving website. And there is where part of my problem lies. The " gun" bit. I fear that some people interested in my jewellery could be put off by it.
    Plus my name is very often mispelt. My first name seems to be liked by quite a few people so maybe I should use it in combination with the word jewellery? Or maybe I should use a name that has nothing to do with me?

I have been pondering on this question for the last few weeks so I should come with an answer soon. Still I feel like I am not making any progress! Help!!
    Last edited by Katia; 14-01-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Hi Katia,
    I think you engraving is beautiful, and I don't think the gun bit would put many people off. Why not use a face or flower and incorporate Katia Jewellery in the design? Dennis.

if you were working with filigree you could call yourself Fili-gree. OK, that was a bit lame.

I don't think being a gun engraver would put anyone off to be honest, and it highlights that you are incredibly skilled. I think you need to try and find out what type of stuff you will mostly be selling and then you could maybe work that into the name. I know that if I had your skills, I'd be engraving everything in sight and make that the thing which sets me apart from the crowd.

The Weirdly Wonderful Isle and Royal Manor of Portland

I used to have a very old beautiful Miroku and the engraving was so wonderful that I would have loved to find the engraver and have him/her make me some jewellery. I personally can't wait to see your work and think that the 'gunengraving' connection will only reinforce confidence in the potential quality and beauty of your jewellery.

I don't like guns.......the concern I think you have Katia......and a sentiment which I am sure many will share....(i do accept that they have a legitimite place and need), however I absolutely agree with Billy and the others, gun engraving is something exquisite and your engraving is beautiful, I really don't think it will put people off.....in terms of the search I think if you make sure that the words, 'gun' engraver' & 'jewellery' (or derivatives thereof) are very close to each other and therefore linked and visible on the search return, I think it will only generate curiosity.

If i needed anything engraving, the gun bit would only add value to your skill, definately not diminish it!!

In terms of your site name, I think Medusa is right, explore what type of jewellery you are going to be making............hope that helps, a little!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your replies.
    This has been ( and still is) a question mark for me, but you have helped me realise that I should not really try to hide the fact that I engrave guns. After all it it would be a bit silly not to use the " reputation" I have built as a gun engraver in the last decade or so. ( sorry, I do not really know what other word I should use for "reputation", sometimes my English is a bit inadequate).
    In terms of knowing now what type of jewellery I am going to make, well I am afraid that I seem to be liking it all! I marvel at most techniques and want to try everything, but I also want to make sure that my engraving will be part of it as I have for so many years engraved what other people wanted on their guns. Now on my own pieces I can finally engrave what I want and that is just making me incredibly happy!

Apart from the main design, I also like a secret message on the back or inside, that only the wearer knows about. Dennis.

hi Dennis! Yes, that is a lovely idea! Secret messages...OoohhhhOOhhh!