Thread: So others don't get stung

Default So others don't get stung

I bought one of these.
    £20 seemed a tiny bit steep but I couldn't find one from a uk supplier, 5 quid carriage seemed very reasonable from the US.
    It turned up today, or rather a postcard from the sorting office did, saying they would not deliver it until I pay £12.03 - £4.03 duty or whatever, and £8 handling fee.
    Made me want to spit.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I bought one of these.
    £20 seemed a tiny bit steep but I couldn't find one from a uk supplier, 5 quid carriage seemed very reasonable from the US.
    It turned up today, or rather a postcard from the sorting office did, saying they would not deliver it until I pay £12.03 - £4.03 duty or whatever, and £8 handling fee.
    Made me want to spit.
    They are available from UK tool suppliers, HS Walsh stocks these tips, see;http://www.hswalsh.com/L-Torch-Bud-J...?i=TB405&t=120 , but your purchase, even with the postage extras is still slightly cheaper.
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Ah - missed that.
    I suppose I'm still a couple of quid up then.
    Takes the sting out of it a bit.
    Cheers.

ParcelFarce's extortionate handling charges are well-reviled in many areas. It's a monopoly position that they're abusing; unfortunately, the only thing that can be done about it is to write to your MP.
    As for VAT + import duty - well, that's the law; purchases from outside the EU get hit on both. At the same time, in purchasing from the US you don't pay sales tax there (VAT equivalent or thereabouts).

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

These are available at Walsh in the UK or Fischer in Germany, who will send to the UK... As also a heads up.

Thanks for all the suggestions - didn't even know Fischer existed.
    Seems these and other tips are just plain expensive!

I don't mind paying the VAT or duty, it is the 'handling fee' that I object to. Royal Mail (and various other carriers) act on your behalf, paying the customs due and then charging you £8 for the privilege, plus of course the original customs fees. The thing is, we have no choice whether or not we want the carrier to act as a broker like this on our behalf, we just have to accept it. Most other countries don't do this, you pay the fees directly to the customs authorities and cut out the filthy horrible middleman! Also, our allowance for imported goods is remarkably low (now £15) so anything declared on the customs form over this amount will be liable for VAT and the dreaded handling charge and don't forget customs duty if the parcel is declared to have a value over £135.

That said, it is still very often much cheaper to buy from outside the EU. Even after any customs fees, you still very often end up saving money especially on jewellery tools. I buy most of my tools abroad, most notably my burrs. I get them from Rio Grande in box sets and they work out at a fraction of the price compared to if I had bought them in the UK even after import VAT.

Thanks for the tip re burrs.Hope no one from cooksons is looking ;-)

Hehe, sorry cookies! You know from my repeated visits and rather hefty orders that I love you more than any one else

They don't sell the box sets of lynx burrs anywhere over here really. Although, Cousins and Sutton tools (I think) sell a different make of burrs in a set but for rather excessive prices!