Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

To both you, Anne and Milo, I would say phone up the Assay Office. I use the one in Edinburgh and they really are the nicest, most helpful and unofficious people. When I first started to think of hallmarking I was terrified of phoning them but they were lovely and spent about half an hour on the phone answering all my questions - which I am sure they have heard hundreds of times before - but they were great. I'm sure they will help you out with more interesting questions like yours, Milo, and I would love to know the answer about the spoon handle rings! As far as I understand it the hallmarking applies to any single item that contains more than the 7.78g of silver - so earings would be viewed seperately....but don't quote me on that!!

As far as chainmaille is concerned Anne, Mizgeorge is the resident expert on maille. I make fine silver bracelets where all the links are fused together...so I'm not sure how they go about hallmarking an item where all the links are still removable, open jumprings. I have my hallmark stamped on a little pmc heart tag which I attach to all of my chains...and I know you can get sterling silver tags that you can get hallmarks put on - but again - I don't know how that would work if they are not actually soldered onto the chain. You could get all the links hallmarked but it would cost a fortune!! as they charge per hallmark application...

But I really, really would reccommend you give them (the assay office) a call.....

I'll give them a ring on Monday.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Fantastic...there is nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth!! Let us know what the answer is won't you!!!

Thanks for the help, I'll try calling on of the assay offices.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I know when I asked them about my chain maille bracelets they said they had to be hallmarked even if the links weren't soldered closed. But I usually put a larger ring at the end for the clasp so I assum ethat's the one they will hallmark - I haven't asked or sent any yet.

Milo - I have had a quick read through the Hallmarking Act on the London Assay Office's website http://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/d...king%20Act.pdf and in Section 5 on page 6 it says "...it shall be an offence for any person to make an addition, alteration or repair to an article bearing approved hallmarks, except in accordance with the written consent of an assay office." But I'm sure I've seen jewellery made from cutlery before!

I reckon that is regarding existing jewellery. Didn't get a chance to call the assay office today - I'm too busy this week with web work.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Two streets from the Tunnocks teacake factory!

I just handed in my form to the Edinburgh Assay office today. V exciting! You're right Solunar - they're very helpful!

About 925 stamps, can you use them on argentium? Also, what do you use for fine silver?
    Thanks.
    PS: Grrr, I really hate all the legal aspects of making jewellery, so confusing!

Mochi's Joke of the Day:
    "I wanted to ask about hallmarking, so I gave the Assay Office a ring... and they stamped it!"
    Last edited by mochiandmocha; 25-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.

I just noticed the other day that Cooksons have 999fs stamps. They did say they would get them eventually...both straight and swan neck!!
    Swan Neck. Punch '999fs', 1mm Marking Punch For Fine Silver,pmc Or Art Clay - Cooksongold.com
    Straight Neck. Punch '999fs', 1mm Marking Punch For Fine Silver,pmc Or Artclay - Cooksongold.com. One of these will be in my basket at the next free-post...but I can't decide which one...the swan neck would be the most useful as I am doing fine silver rings now - but how hard is it to use a swan neck punch?? Any one any experience of using them??

Great thanks!
    We were wondering as well about the swan neck, can you use it on normal flat pieces too? If so, why bother buying both?