Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

If you're selling to a shop I guess it would depend on what basis -
    e.g. If the shop doesn't pay you until it sells then it would technically
    still be yours (in which case you might need to provide the sign).
    If it's a jewellery shop then it should have its own.
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I bought a hallmarking stamp from Cooksons for rings which just says "SIL". Does anyone know if its OK to use this instead of 925? Also, how do you use a hallmarking stamp? I've tried hammering the stamp onto a bit of scrap silver but it doesnt leave an imprint!

Any help gratefully received.

Anna

whack it hard...
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

My hallmark has been ready for use at Edinburgh for a while now (just haven't got round to making stuff recently!!) But still not sure if I will get the under 7g stuff hallmarked yet. If it is big enough to look like it should have a hallmark then I think I might e.g. rings or pendants. But earrings I might not.

I hallmark everything I can, no matter how small. It's an extra selling point and it gives a permanent record of the maker (and people like having a hallmarked piece of custom jewellery IME). AOL encourage this attitude

I was at Goodwood the other week, and one of the shops there was selling a variety of items as silver (stamped 925 too) - yet without displaying the hallmarking card, nor were the items that needed to be hallmarked (large cuff bracelets are going to be well over 7.78g!). Grr.

The hallmark is there as a guarantee to the customer that the work is of at least the fineness described. Form what I've heard, the situation is very different in France, where it indicates that the tax on that fineness has been paid...

I thought you only had to pay to register every 10 years? I bought my hallmark a few months ago and it cost me £30 for being a full time student, and secured my makers mark for 10 years so I just assumed I would be registered for 10 years but I could be wrong! I also didn't realise it was a legal requirement to hallmark! I guess if you are just selling to friends and family it isn't important as I have done previously.

Registration does last 10 years, that is for your maker's mark, which can then be renewed at the end of the 10-year period.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

The way I understand it is you do not HAVE to hallmark anything under 7.78grams but you can sell it as STERLING SILVER, we called the assay office about some ear wires we bought and they explained it to us like this...

Marking everything you make from Sterling Silver with 925 and a logo (you are allowed a makers logo which has nothing to do with your makers mark BTW) is fine as long as the Silver content of your piece does not exceed the 7.78g weight limit, anything over that and you MUST get it hallmarked or you can't sell it as Sterling Silver but have to describe it as being 'White Metal' instead.

For what it's worth I'd get everything over the 7.78g weight limit hallmarked as it adds to the value of the item, under that and I just give it a whack with a 925 stamp and a Logo.
    Goodbye

Just re-awkening this thread as I havea current dilema - I'm making rings from sterling silver cutlery at the moment - the handles have their original hallmarks on them and these are what I use to make the rings so they're all hallmarked on the inside with the original hallmarks. Some of the rings weigh over 7.78g - would I need to send these off to the assay office to get hallmarked if they're alrady hallmarked? I'm presuming that I wouldn't because of the nature of the piece.

if making rings from silver spoons, I've also been flattening and planishing the spoon bit that I've cut off and wondered what I can do with these and some of them weigh 11g. If I cut it in half and make a pair of earrings - each earring weighs less than 7.78g. Or do earrings get treated as a pair when it comes to the weight?
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Hi, I posted the following question on another thread, but it didn't get an answer, I'm hoping it will here.

I've just made my first piece of sterling silver jewellery - a chain maille necklace including beads - and wanted to know how the hallmarking would work.

I'm assuming they won't hallmark all the jump rings in the chain maille.

Because I haven't yet mastered making my own clasps I've put a clasp I bought from Cookson on the necklace and the clasp is already hallmarked as sterling silver so I'm assuming they will not put the hallmark on the clasp.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/