Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jump rings

Default Jump rings

Is it cheaper to buy jump rings in bulk or make your own from silver wire?
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Buy them - life's too short! :-) :-)

I buy mine too, it might be cheaper to make your own, but I'd rather save the time personally!

We costed it up this morning and oddly, it's cheaper to buy them ready made

wow - thanks for the input - will order some this week. do you buy them closed or open or a mix of the two. i'm thinking a mix of the two is probably best.
    Website | Instagram

I buy them open myself then I have the choice to solder them closed (when I buy my new kit) or use them open. Personally I find closed ones infuriating as the ones I have bought in the past have never found a use and are probably still here in my attic somewhere!

I should just clarify that I am talking about Sterling jump rings though... I'm not sure about any other kinds of wire.

Remember though when you make them yourself you still have to cost in your time unless you want to work for free... it's something alot of people seem to forget when they say making jump rings is cheap!

I'm looking at jump rings on the cooksongold site and I'm confused. What's the difference between "Silver Jump Ring Light" and"Silver Jump Ring Heavy" and where it says 4mm or 5mm is that the diameter of the jump ring?
    I've just entered 14g of heavy 6mm and also 14g of light 6mm and the heavy works out cheaper. What is the difference?
    Last edited by Milomade; 09-07-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Milomade View Post
    I'm looking at jump rings on the cooksongold site and I'm confused. What's the difference between "Silver Jump Ring Light" and"Silver Jump Ring Heavy" and where it says 4mm or 5mm is that the diameter of the jump ring?
    I've just entered 14g of heavy 6mm and also 14g of light 6mm and the heavy works out cheaper. What is the difference?
    I think (from memory) the heavy jump rings are 1mm thick wire and the light are .8mm wire.

Yep the 4mm and 5mm is the external diameter

The price will depend heavily on Cooksons sources, if the heavy is cheaper for them to buy than the light then the heavy will be cheaper on their website... if you see what I mean

I have to say though, Cooksons seems to have an overload of info about things which is on one hand great but on the other is really, really confusing sometimes especially if you are a newbie. I'm not a newbie and even I struggle sometimes trying to work out what something is by their descriptions and specifications. Then sometimes some things don't contain enough info and you're left equally confused. Having said that though their products and rage are excellent and I've almost stopped shopping anywhere else because they are so good!
    Last edited by The Bijou Dragon; 09-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.

i make my own from wire, but i do weird chains and they need really really specific sizes/wire thicknesses to get the aspect ratio right, also i got a machine for doing it because saw cutting is a pain and a half. the 5mm heavy/light measurement that cookson do is pretty much useless for complicated chain weaves.

that said i do have a bag of theirs on hand for stuff that DOESN'T need to be overly specific because as wendy says, life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    i make my own from wire, but i do weird chains and they need really really specific sizes/wire thicknesses to get the aspect ratio right, also i got a machine for doing it because saw cutting is a pain and a half. the 5mm heavy/light measurement that cookson do is pretty much useless for complicated chain weaves.

that said i do have a bag of theirs on hand for stuff that DOESN'T need to be overly specific because as wendy says, life's too short.
    To be honest I make my own for the same reasons, I keep meaning sometime to source these unusual sized jump rings to save me time, although my sawing has got quicker