Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jump rings

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltie View Post
    To be honest I make my own for the same reasons, I keep meaning sometime to source these unusual sized jump rings to save me time, although my sawing has got quicker
    the reason i got the jump ring cutting machine is because i couldn't find anyone in the UK who would actually sell jumprings by wire gauge/internal diameter, it's all stuff like the "6mm heavy" i mentioned earlier. there's places in the US like bluebuddha and spiderchain but who needs the hassle of importing?

i should probably start selling them myself =D

There are a couple of places in the UK that do more specific jump ring sizes.

www (dot) thedragonflycompany (dot) com & beadsisters (dot) co (dot) uk

I haven't ordered any myself though so I can't vouch for their quality.

Dragonfly have a lot wider range than Beadsisters, but the last time I calculated price comparisons it worked out cheaper to import them from The Ring Lord in Canada, even including the shipping costs!

I usually make my own rings if I want silver or copper, but if I was going to do a really big project I'd buy them.

I have used dragonfly recently too as they specify the Internal Diameter (ID) size. Which is what you want if you are making chain mail weaves as that's what the patterns specify.

Do you have to pay customs duty if importing rings from Canada Rosie?

I have got a jump ring maker, but it doesn't include a cutter, so use it for small quantities. I always use a saw to cut them as the edges are neater than with pliers which is very important if you are going to solder them.

You only pay customs charges if the value of what you are importing is over a certain amount, but the Revenue & Customs website doesn't tell you what that limit is!

I've managed to order about £20 worth of stuff from Canada and not get charged, but I did get charged when I made a much larger order (greater than £100). I'm not sure where the cutoff point is.

I also saw cut my rings because the edges fit together better.

~Rosie

The limit for VAT/Duty is £18. If your good are worth over that (at the day's exchange rate) they are liable, and the total amount, including postage, will be liable for the charge, plus the exorbitant fee the Royal Mail/Parcelforce/courier company charges for you to take your money.

I also cut all my own rings, though I can understand that those who don't have a cutting system or hate sawing could find it tedious!

I'm not sure how it could ever be cheaper to buy in than to make them though. Unless that calculation was made using a very poor price break for the silver.

I found it would be cheaper for me because I don't have a ring cutting system, and I'm not particularly quick at saw cutting rings

In terms of the money I have to pay out, yes it's cheaper to make them. But in terms of how much I then charge for the piece, I have to charge more if I make them myself than if I bought them.