Thread: Salt and vinegar crisps experiment on comper

Default Salt and vinegar crisps experiment on comper

Here it is, my bit of copper ( not" comper" as it says in the title...) after 2 weeks laying on a bed of salt and vinegar crisps.
    I thought you might be interested in seeing what happened!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 379372403.356703.jpg  
    Last edited by Katia; 08-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Oooh, nice effect Katia!! 2 questions (thinking of moving forwards with the piece), what size is the piece of copper pictured and how durable do you think the finish will be?will you protect it?? (sorry, 3 questions!)!!

It's pretty, but crisps could never lie about for two weeks in my house.

Was thinking the same thing Dennis, even the cheap salt and vinegar which are more like battery acid and alum would be wolfed down long before that copper turned green.

I am a really strong willed lady it turns out! ( plus the fact that the crips were drizzled with water hence making them a tiny bit mushy which made the whole thing a bit of a no no!)

Tabby, the copper bit measures 5cm x1 cm.

You would need to seal the patina with a normal, errr, patina sealant! i am very lucky that I live near a lady who studied patination as a subject at university and I will ask here what she thinks is the best sealant.

I tried to remove the patina with my fingernail and that was possible, but I think that is what happens to most patinas when they are not protected.

I can let you know what she says if you wish?

Yes please Katia, and if she can give any indication of 'life expectancy' of the colouration and pattern with a particular protectant, that would be very helpful.........my reading thus far has been that patination has a very limited life and darkening is pretty rapid......

Many thanks for your help