Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for sending first batch to Assay Office

Default Advice for sending first batch to Assay Office

Hello, really looking for some advice here please.
    I'm almost ready to send off my first batch to the assay office to be hallmarked. All the relevant forms are complete & the 10 year registration & makers punch etc paid. I saw someone on here saying to send in a batch of atleast 50 items in at a time, to help spread the cost through each item, however, there's a little more advice I'd love to hear on the following things:

Which courier would be best to use to get the box of silver jewellery to the assay office or do you just use the post office?

With necklaces, do you send in the pendant on it's own to be hallmarked, or do you send it with the chain attached - as a complete necklace?

Items with set stones (gems, etc) - do you set the stones into the bezels when they come back from the assay office or again, do you send these in as complete items with stones already set & all?

Any advice would be appreciated, look forward to reading the suggestions =)

I think we all have our own way of doing things, but for me, yes, I send in as much as possible at a time as the big cost each time is the unpacking charge and shipping.

Use as little wrapping as is feasible - rolling everything up into a single piece of bubblewrap is fine. They hate extra packaging!

I use Royal Mail Special Delivery, appropriately insured (I usually need to pay extra as it's over £500's worth).

If the pendant is removable, then I send just that. If it can't be removed without using tools (eg by opening a jump ring on a clasp or bail), then the chain stays with it.

I generally set stuff after assay (as a general rule). However, the occasional last-minute piece does sometimes go in finished, and I've never had any problem with this.

Hope that helps.

Thanks George, that's a massive help =)
    Sian Williamson

This takes me back to my original problem with Royal Mail, George. In the event of a lost packet, How do you establish the value? Dennis.

That doesn't bear thinking about Dennis, I take it RM lost a package of yours? =(
    Sian Williamson

A point to bear in mind about insurance is that they will only pay the cost price and not retail value. Used to get this a lot in my last job.
    Theresa

I just send mine in a small clear plastic box with a hinged lid (think it was the box an antique watch arrived in) padded with kitchen roll. I have glued a business card to the lid as well, so if it gets seperated from the hallnote, it's got my name on it!

I generally send finished items, but my last lot was a right hotchpotch of components, pendants with or without chains, finished and unfinished things. Mainly because I have a big show next weekend, and I was away last week, so just needed it doing PDQ :-) I can spend this week getting stuff finished now that littlun is going back to school :-)

I am paranoid about damage, especially when sending PMC leaves that can be a bit more fragile than other items, and use one of those transparent airtight boxes meant for food (cheap from most supermarkets), padded with bubblewrap or thin foam. I usually send items finished, but occasionally not and also usually ask for 3D laser marks, except on rings where I prefer a struck mark because they get more wear.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

No one has yet mentioned the obvious, which might be news to a beginner. For textured pieces it is best if you prepare a smooth rectangle for them to use. I also colour where I want the mark with an orange waterproof pen, so that my note states 3D laser hallmark, approx x mm tall as marked.

Alot of great replies, with loads for me to think about. Thankyou for all the very helpful advice =)
    Sian Williamson