Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper and heat ( and a pheasant!?)

Default Copper and heat ( and a pheasant!?)

Hello,

I have been making a bit of beaded jewellery for the last year, but these past few days I started to experiment with copper.
    I made this pendant. I need to buy needle files and saw a lot more of course! But I am quite happy with the results I got for the colours.( I used a butane torch )
    I have been reading quite a lot about the best way to preserve the colours given by heat on copper and it looks like Renaissance wax is the way to go! Mine has just arrived. Woo-hoo! Quite curious to see how the colors will evolve.
    The heart is 1/2 an inch high and 3/4 wide.

Here is also a picture of my latest engraving, which is almost finished. I think the height of the pheasant is 3 to 3.5 cm high but I should check again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 377829319.196240.jpg   377829412.906011.jpg  
    Last edited by Katia; 22-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Wow Katia, your engraving is amazing!

Great engraving, can we see more?

Hi Katia - long time no see. Good to see you're still doing some jewellery too - but your engraving is, as always, fantastic.

Superb engraving, but my experience with flame patination of copper is that waxing it caused the colours to disappear. So when I tried that with my leaf below, I had to de-grease it and start again.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl Copper Leaf Brooch 2.jpg  

Thanks for your kind words about the engraving! If you want to have a look at more of my work, you can check the website that is part of my signature on this forum.
    I am trying to upload more pictures here, but it looks like myvtablet just does not want me to do that at the moment? Grr.

Dennis, I have just put some Renaissance wax on the pendant and the colours have not changed! Maybe this is because of the way that I treated the pendant before heating it? I actually left it in vinegar for 3 days and then proceded with the whole thing. I also had added some salt to the solution.( your leaf is absolutely fantastic!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 377890785.000763.jpg  

Mmmm there's a mystery. Did you heat yours still wet with the solution?

Hi Dennis!

This is how the heating of the pendant happened:

I was looking for a method where I did not have to use too many chemicals to give colours to copper. So when I found a few videos on youtube about using vinegar and salt, I was well pleased. BUT: there was no real directions about how much of what should be used and for how long. One of the instructions was to heat up the solution though. Which I did. And I can tell you that the smell of cooking vinegar is quite...special. I put my pendant in the pan. For probably 30 mins. Then I just could not stomach the smell of hot vinegar so I simply left it in there. nothing was happening, but I thought that as I was off for 3 days, I might as well leave the pendant in the solution and hey, maybe when I come back, patination has occured!!

3 days later...NOTHING. nothing exciting at all. It looked dull. So I decided to heat the stuff up. Then you can guess what happened.

Ah, also I did use steel wool. A few times. I flamed the stuff for maybe 4 or 5 times. That was said to be quite important by a copper painting artist. Someone also says you should put your item in the fridge as soon as it is flamed to preserve the colours.
    It looks like quite a lot of the jewellery artists who sell copper flamed items put renaissance wax on it, but of course we cannot see what the colours were before they applied it. But their items all have very nice colours I think!

Maybe I was really lucky actually and the next time I give it a go, my colours will not remain. but as the next time is gonna be very soon, I will let you know how it all goes!

I must say that I find this subject completely fascinating. Hope I am not boring everyone now!
    Last edited by Katia; 23-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I once read in a newspaper letters column: No sooner do we have a clear sky, than an aeroplane comes and scribbles on it. Well, I've scribbled on this column for some time and if people don't like it they just ignore it.

My problem with colouring both copper and silver is that the results are not entirely predictable and worst of all the colours will continue to darken, until ultimately there are fifty shades of grey. So if you do this for money there would be cause for complaint.

Nice talking to you, Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Yes, it looks like the preservation of the lovely colours you can get on copper has been a sort of baffling subject to many people!
    I am keeping on reading on the subject and something that has cropped up quite a few times is to put the item in a heat proof container just after heating it and putting it in the freezer.( I thought it was the fridge, but I guess the subzero temperature might be of importance. I shall give it a go and observe what happens.

I Have just purchased ammonia, so that will be my next attempt at patinating copper. Ah, and borax as well!