Thread: Plating kit

Default Plating kit

While I might not be all that keen on rhodium over white gold myself, the public gets what the public wants... I may need to start plating some bits. I could send it out, but that's additional time, money needlessly given to Royal Mail (and you have to buy extra insurance if it's > £50 value) and general aggro although I need to price it up accordingly. Besides - new tools?!

For rings and similar, are the pen plating kits good enough or should I be looking at the multi-bath systems for even & hard plating? What are the pros & cons?

IIRC, the X-ray fluorescence spectroscope(s?) at AOL can handle 2u plating max?

My notes say that plating of less than 2.5 microns will by definition be porous and that rings should have 3-5 microns. I think that means a bath would be more reliable, but I imagine only commercial baths, or possibly commercial solutions, would have some guidance as to time, concentration and current to achieve that

Dennis.

Hhhmm, I thought/think there are some regs relating to hallmarking and plating...........2 microns?? Whilst writing this I'm thinking, no.....that's gold plating not rhodium??