Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PO Boxes

Default PO Boxes

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see if any of you had any opinions regarding PO boxes.

I make my jewellery from home and work on some relatively pricey pieces. I don't really want to use my actual address on my website or leaflets for the sake of security - just recently there was a jeweller shot dead at his home in a local town & another couple local to us were forever getting broken into - not something anyone wants, but especially not with 3 small children in the house!!!

I thought about going down the route of getting a PO Box, but have been told that this might 1) put off customers and 2) Isn't actually much more secure than a house address.
    There are companies out there that offer "real street addresses", but looking at reviews of some of them, you probably wouldn't want to go near them (very expensive hidden costs / post going missing, etc).

So here's my question - Would a PO Box put any of you off, or is this an out-dated idea? Do any of you have any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. xx

I believe that distance selling regulations require that you have geographic postal address on your website, and PO boxes are not acceptable. I'm not sure what the rules are on using a handling address, but I suspect they are the same.

I have to say I would never buy from any site that didn't include a 'real' address, a telephone number and an email address (rather than just a contact form).

Whilst not trying to downplay any worries you might have, having good home security and adequate insurance (usually a separate policy for the business side of things) is the best thing you can do.

I used to have my home address on my website until someone on here (I think it was James) suggested that was a bad idea. Since I took my address off, I haven't noticed a drop in sales.

Thank you very much for your responses My problem is that I need to recieve packages from customers to make my jewellery, so I need to have a postal address of some sort. Quite a few people have said that PO Boxes would put them off, but I find the idea of using my home address a bit scary!

Can you guys think of any other options? I had thought about approaching one of my local high street jewellers - I suppose I could offer to pay them something, but i'm not sure how that would work?

Thanks again. x

Can you maybe let them have the address once they've placed the order? I've no problem with giving customers my address, I just don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to know.

You have to have your trading address on your website, that's the law, whether you like it or not .
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft913.pdf
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thank you very much for the link - i've spent a couple of years setting up my little business & building my site. I can't believe none of the local "business advisors" ever pointed this out!! To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind

I might approach my stone setter about the possibility of using his address unless anyone can think of something I havn't yet?

xxx

Just reading through the info & looks like Carole might be onto something here (yay). It seems to say that geographical address / physical location only actually needs to be disclosed once a customer has decided to buy
    Were you really established shen you dropped the address from your website Carole? As a complete start up, I wonder if people would expect to see an address up front?
    x

Yes I was established when I dropped my address. I make a big thing about my stuff being made in Cornwall, which I guess gives a bit of authenticity.

Thank you all very much for your help with this - think you might have solved my problem & given me some things to think about Now off to the day job. Night all x