Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: PO Boxes

Wow, looks like things got a bit heated whilst I was away. Thank you all so much for your input on this - I hope it didn't cause too much trouble! To be honest, I think i'd be far too nervous to put my geographical address on my site - it's my home & I have 3 little ones here. A couple of jewellers working from home just up the road from here took early retirement as they were absolutely sick and tired of the break-ins.

I send packs out to clients once they have ordered but before I actully make anything, so they can always change their mind even once I have sent them their information. I'm hoping that as long as I send out the full address with the packs I "should" be covered.
    I've noticed that other companies seem to operate this way. I'm registered with inland revenue and have to produce tax returns, but am not limited (i'm only just starting out).
    Peter, do you think that covers my legal obligations?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Well I've sought legal advice from you Peter, so I'm covered!

Doesn't work like that - I've already disclaimed being a lawyer and I've no insurance on it, so I'm afraid it devolves to "I read it on the internet it must be true"...

hmmmm... I'm not sure how or if that is different from my interpretation of DSR, but I'm not going to shift. If the OFT don't like what I'm doing, I'll just focus everything on etsy.

Being on Etsy does not negate legal requirements. Have a look at the Etsy help pages, specifically here under "Seller Information":

http://www.etsy.com/help/article/171
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    Being on Etsy does not negate legal requirements. Have a look at the Etsy help pages, specifically here under "Seller Information":

http://www.etsy.com/help/article/171
    burger! Oddly, I never had to put that info when I joined up and they haven't demanded it from me since. None of the brits I know on etsy have their geographical addresses on there. But I'm still not sticking my address on the site!

Ummm... I'm a brit and have my address on the site. But it did only get added after I read the above mentioned help page and someone said about the DSRs. I don't think that Etsy themselves check.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I would agree with Medusa,as I would never post my home or workshop addresses on a website, whatever the rules are.
    Worse is that if you are a home worker and the address you post online is your home and workshop and if you advertise that you are a worker in precious metals and precious stones, then there is nothing stopping anyone from looking on Google/Streetview to seek out a photo of your house and it's security, surely this would make you a good target for burglary. Check out your own address and see what I am saying.

James

The other thing to remember is that once information is online, it is to all intents and purposes impossible to remove it. So removing your address at a later point is less helpful than might be liked.

On the privacy/Streetview thing - there isn't any. If your address is online, you've surrendered your privacy.
    (although Streetview often gets addresses a bit wrong)

I'm planning on putting up high gates and fences around my property, which hopefully will make it less easy for unwelcome visitors to access the back where my studio is. Luckily our back garden borders a school playing field so there's already a high fence there. My front door is always locked as well, following someone walking in and nicking my bag and cameras last year. I also have a burglar alarm in my studio, so I think I'm covered.

Not having the address published on your website (if you have one) doesn't mean it's not there. As you have to provide it for your domain registration, it's not difficult to look it up if you want to.

I actually don't think any of us are any more at risk than any other householder - most burglars are more interested in consumer electricals and cash, and whilst they'll take a box of jewellery if they see it, I don't think we're a big target group. I think applying the same sensible security measures that anyone should and having good insurance in place is about the best we can do. As well as keeping fingers crossed from time to time of course.