Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Etching Tank

Default Etching Tank

So, I've finally decided to have a go at some etching.

I'm going to use PNP and a mini craft iron for the resist, but thought I'd do some (probably a lot of) practicing with brass before I have a go at silver.

Googling suggests that I should use Ferric Chloride to etch brass, which is what they use to etch printed circuit boards, but everything I've read seems to advise the use of a heated 'bubble' tank for etching brass. Would this be the same for silver?

I don't have massive amounts of space in my workshop and was just planning on using a either a mini pickle tank or a glass beaker on a hotplate for my little tank. I'm not going to be etching big things, more just numbers/names/dates onto castings.

Does anyone have experience with etching brass? Do I really need a bubble tank, or would just heating the Ferric Chloride be sufficient?

Thanks!

I've etched brass to make pattern plate for the rolling mill and don't use a bubble tank. I just make sure that whatever I'm etching is upside down so that the dissolved sludge falls away and doesn't sit in the pattern you're trying to etch which will inhibit further etching. Also what I do use an old jamjar for the ferric chloride and drill a small hole in the corner of the brass and hook a paper clip through that and then over the edge of the jar so the brass is upside down and at an angle. Seems to work ok. I think other people use brown tape stuck on the back of the metal to suspend it upside down.

As an alternative to ferric, which is manky and stains everything, a salt-water electroetch works pretty well for brass. A couple of bits of wire & a battery (or a car charger if you want some speed) in a jar of salt water and away you go.

Ferric chloride won't etch silver well, BTW. Cuts for a bit, then stops. Ferric nitrate does better.

Additionally, you could use the salt water etch to make a steel pattern plate and print onto your silver that way.

I use nitric acid and I do what Myosotis said - hang it upside down in a glass dish.

Thanks guys.

Peter, the ferric chloride is purely to etch the brass - I'd use the ferric nitrate for silver. I'm too scared to use nitric acid Carole!

I'll be etching into curved castings, so making a steel pattern plate wouldn't work in this case.

Going to order some stuff now - exciting!

That's good then. Nitric isn't desperately safe if mishandled, but to be honest neither is ferric nitrate.

You can also electroetch silver with a silver nitrate solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You can also electroetch silver with a silver nitrate solution.
    That's quite caustic too. It's been used to remove warts.

So, strangely, has gaffer tape.
    But it doesn't do much good in etching.

Fundamentally, if it eats metal it is unlikely to be good for you - it's a relative scale.

Another question: if I use steel wire/paperclip to suspend, will the steel not be affected by the etching solution?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Another question: if I use steel wire/paperclip to suspend, will the steel not be affected by the etching solution?
    Possibly, Peter would know about possible issues with that but I try to make sure it's not in the solution - because I'm etching a smallish rough strip rather than a finished bit of jewellery there's enough spare metal around the edge of the design so that the paper clip stays out of the ferric chloride. I have used a scrap bit of silver wire in the past though when I couldn't find anything else - as Peter says, silver isn't really affected. Could also try the plastic coated paper clips? Or nylon/synthetic beading wire?