Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Wow! Congratulations

I thought NHS interviews were bad but going for an interview at BCU would terrify me. Well done on getting an offer, I bet you're really excited! Don't be afraid of taking a different career route, I won't say it's easy but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. I've just left my NHS job to do this full time so I know how scary it can be.

Best of luck, would love to see some of your designs.
    Thanks Emily I am HUGELY excited - it is a scarey leap and I keep waking up thinking am I doing the right thing but as corney as this sounds my heart skips a beat and i get such an excited feeling when I think about what I will learn and the possibilities and what an opportunity .... I know its going to be hardwork but I am going to acheive so much and it will be worth it ultimately as you say with hardwork and determination. I cant wait to share with people what I've made and to feel proud and have a real sense of pride in everything I do!

Going back to the interview I have to say it was the first interview where I felt i could be honest and not pretend to be what anyone wants i had nothing to hide (nothing to hide as in doubts and insecurities) so it was all good. I was honest and open about my pieces and discussed my mistakes and acheivements and how I'd make 'it' differently next time and so on it was great. I was very nervous though i couldnt drive myself to the interview and I had severe stomach cramps and I completely lost the feeling to my left foot oddly haha! All that disappeared as soon as the interview was over!

Are you self taught Emily?

I'll post my photos of my pieces over the next few days.
    Last edited by Vanessa; 23-02-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: a quick addition

WOOP WOOP Vanessa!!!! Well done

You must be sooo proud....and have every right to be .......enjoy your course (and keep us up-to-date with piccies) xx

I'm pretty much completely self taught so I am far from an expert but I've been doing this for quite a few years. I loved my job, it was my profession and I am a biology nerd at heart but unfortunately I suffer from an ongoing illness and I made the decision to leave the NHS and concentrate on my jewellery because my health was suffering with all the long hours and exposure to nasty bugs and chemicals. This way I can do what I love but at my own pace without making my condition worse.

It makes me happy when I hear about people finally being able to live out their dreams. It's never too late to change the way you're heading. If it means so much to you that you get stomach cramps and butterflies just thinking about it, it's obviously something you desperately want & deserve.

You'll love it there, you can pop down to Cookies and the rest of the jewellery suppliers to get all sorts of tools and sparklies. Mind you, I try to limit the amount of times I let myself to go down to Hockley because I spend waaaaaay too much money and can't drag myself away. You lucky thing

Oh Vanessa, Im so excited for you. Congratulations on getting in. How exciting. Just reading through this post has started me off again on wanting to do more of this. Im on about my third career but can't quite bring myself to make the leap - dont know if thats fear of failure or what. Big, big congratulations to you. Please keep us all posted.
    Love Didi

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    I'm pretty much completely self taught so I am far from an expert but I've been doing this for quite a few years. I loved my job, it was my profession and I am a biology nerd at heart but unfortunately I suffer from an ongoing illness and I made the decision to leave the NHS and concentrate on my jewellery because my health was suffering with all the long hours and exposure to nasty bugs and chemicals. This way I can do what I love but at my own pace without making my condition worse.

It makes me happy when I hear about people finally being able to live out their dreams. It's never too late to change the way you're heading. If it means so much to you that you get stomach cramps and butterflies just thinking about it, it's obviously something you desperately want & deserve.

You'll love it there, you can pop down to Cookies and the rest of the jewellery suppliers to get all sorts of tools and sparklies. Mind you, I try to limit the amount of times I let myself to go down to Hockley because I spend waaaaaay too much money and can't drag myself away. You lucky thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    WOOP WOOP Vanessa!!!! Well done

You must be sooo proud....and have every right to be .......enjoy your course (and keep us up-to-date with piccies) xx
    Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    Oh Vanessa, Im so excited for you. Congratulations on getting in. How exciting. Just reading through this post has started me off again on wanting to do more of this. Im on about my third career but can't quite bring myself to make the leap - dont know if thats fear of failure or what. Big, big congratulations to you. Please keep us all posted.
    Love Didi
    Thanks everyone I really really really want this. I am scared of failing but I think thats a good thing because I believe it makes you work harder. I AM SOOOO EXCITED lol. I'll post my pics of some of the things I have made and I will definately keep you updated with how its going on my course and what I am up to.

Thought I'd update... I started uni in Sept and am loving it. So far I have no regrets. Found the drawing element tricky though as have to rethink the way I think and draw, which is ok... I'm there to be challenged and to learn how to design and craft beautiful, original, pieces Anyway so far I have made a 'pickle label' (a measuring, saw piercing and filing exercise) and we are designing and making an insect themed sculpture and a keyring inbetween with lots of learning 0f various techniques as we go along which will all go towards the final making of the insect. Staff and students are warm and welcoming and friendly. I feel at home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Good luck with your learning Vanessa, I would be interested in seeing your insect ideas. I have made a few insect sculpture pieces myself and would be happy to give any tips if you want any. I have made butterflies, dragonflies, flies and spiders to decorate some of my pieces.

James

Thanks James that's really kind ... it's a really abstract idea of an insect. I'm still developing the idea in my sketch book. I'm looking at the cicada (the north American singing insect). Are you based in the Birmingham JQ? (Ha ha don't worry I'm not about to descend on you or anything)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So glad to hear you are enjoying your course Vanessa, are you at the Birmingham School of Jewellery (BIAD)??