Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi, I looked at the course in Cornwall College, but they were quite expensive and it would have to be a one to one. Where in Devon are you, as you can see I am in Exeter. There is a shortage of good courses in the Westcountry, I wonder if anyone on the forum could teach you what you want to know. Quite a few of them teach I believe.
    Hi Pat, I'm also in Exeter (well, just slightly north in Bradninch). I've seen your posts on here but didn't realise you were in Exeter too I know what you mean about lack of courses in the area I've managed to find a good tutor so go to a class once a week however he doesn't do etching which I'd like to learn, the closest I've found is in Dorset. Have you had any luck with any other local courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi, I looked at the course in Cornwall College, but they were quite expensive and it would have to be a one to one. Where in Devon are you, as you can see I am in Exeter. There is a shortage of good courses in the Westcountry, I wonder if anyone on the forum could teach you what you want to know. Quite a few of them teach I believe.
    Carole does some teaching. Maybe she has spaces?

I went to Exeter College, one evening a week for 10 weeks. That is the only formal training I have had and that was very,very basic. I have learned all the other things from people on this forum, they have even drawn diagrams for me to follow, and by buying a few books. One kind lady on this forum came down to my house and showed my daughter and I how to set stone, she will know who I mean, very much appreciated and now I can set flush (gypsy) setting and tube setting for faceted stones, which makes a nice change from cabs, plus they are sparklier. If you push yourself to learn new things, there are plenty of people on here only too willing to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by louisella76 View Post
    Hi Pat, I'm also in Exeter (well, just slightly north in Bradninch). I've seen your posts on here but didn't realise you were in Exeter too I know what you mean about lack of courses in the area I've managed to find a good tutor so go to a class once a week however he doesn't do etching which I'd like to learn, the closest I've found is in Dorset. Have you had any luck with any other local courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you!

I'm applying to the Jewellery School (BCU) Birmingham as thats my closest. I know its tough to get in so wont be disheartened if I dont get offered a place I'll just keep trying (I'm not being negative just trying to be realistic and not get hopes up and all that lol)! Pauline yes exactly what I am doing I'm applying for a career break (but am still scared about it all) so that at least at the end of the course I know I will have something to fall back on will speak to HR regarding working during the hol's as my manager said I wont be able to but I'll check with them too as you say. Thanks everyone
    Hi

Your manager is correct in that you would not be able to return to your current job to work during your career break. However, HR can easily advise you if they offer an option of you working for them during the hols in another role. Contact other Trusts to register in advance. Once Public Health England is formally created in April they might also have employment options that could be mutually convenient. The HR Dept of your local hospital A & E department is always a good place to try, due to the necessity of covering the 24/7 that is required of the department.
    Pauline x

Welcome Vanessa and good luck with your plans!!
    Are you getting a portfolio together for BCU, I think they have a particular interest in creativity and design......it doesn't just need to be with metal!! Not the route I have chosen to take, but I wish you luck with it!!
    This forum offers great support and knowledge, I hope you enjoy being around here
    Tabby x

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Welcome Vanessa and good luck with your plans!!
    Are you getting a portfolio together for BCU, I think they have a particular interest in creativity and design......it doesn't just need to be with metal!! Not the route I have chosen to take, but I wish you luck with it!!
    This forum offers great support and knowledge, I hope you enjoy being around here
    Tabby x
    Thanks Tabby. Yes I'm putting one together. I want to take in some (not all obviously) of the items as well so they can see them - not sure how to present those items (do I just take them in their presentation box or put them on a display - I'm thinking keep it simple). Also would you suggest I take in some of the non jewellery items I have made even though I do not have the drawings/plans for thme anymore? I thought maybe they would show my creativity... ?

Hi Vanessa,
    Please bear in mind that I didn't folow this route, my experience of BCU is 1)attending an open day and hearing how much they 'seemed' to look at each students' portfolio as a key to entry, 2) knowing that contemporary design and fashion is generally part of their portfolio across the board and 3) that jewellery is part of this and generally you will have fantastic access to design and technology, they will get you to think broadly..........

I think (and these are only my thoughts), you will need to be able to take everything in an A3+or slightly larger case / box, whatever, so long as you can carry it yourself and don't worry too much about it, just show them your thoughts, creativity and passion for what you want to do, if you can make an open day, do, it's quite informative and helped me decide what to do................

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Vanessa,
    Please bear in mind that I didn't folow this route, my experience of BCU is 1)attending an open day and hearing how much they 'seemed' to look at each students' portfolio as a key to entry, 2) knowing that contemporary design and fashion is generally part of their portfolio across the board and 3) that jewellery is part of this and generally you will have fantastic access to design and technology, they will get you to think broadly..........

I think (and these are only my thoughts), you will need to be able to take everything in an A3+or slightly larger case / box, whatever, so long as you can carry it yourself and don't worry too much about it, just show them your thoughts, creativity and passion for what you want to do, if you can make an open day, do, it's quite informative and helped me decide what to do................
    Oh yes I've been to their open day and exhibition - really helped me make my decision whether to reenter education and which course would suit me. I discussed amongst many things portfolios with the students and tutors which helped greatly just wasnt sure how to present it - dispite having asked lots of important questions the one important question I didnt think to ask was how the students presented their portfolios. Thanks for your advice Tabby I really appreciate it

Talking

GUESS WHAT.... I have been offered a place at the jewellery school WHOOP WHOOP The interview wasnt half as scarey as I'd imagined and actually I enjoyed it - the longest interview I have ever had but I really enjoyed it totally! I am so excited ... its going to be tough but I am so excited!
    Last edited by Vanessa; 22-02-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: removed quote as i'd quoted my own post! -bit over excited

Wow! Congratulations

I thought NHS interviews were bad but going for an interview at BCU would terrify me. Well done on getting an offer, I bet you're really excited! Don't be afraid of taking a different career route, I won't say it's easy but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. I've just left my NHS job to do this full time so I know how scary it can be.

Best of luck, would love to see some of your designs.