Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarked Napkin Rings

Default Hallmarked Napkin Rings

Does anyone know whether the napkin rings sold by cooksons are hallmarked on the inside or outside please?

I want to make a silver toothfairy 'box' for my neice and would rather it was hallmarked on the inside so that if I feel capable I can etch a design onto it. I've never made anything quite so big before am looking forward to the challenge (shes only 4 months old so i have a few years yet to sweat over it before required!) I'm wondering whether it should be a loose fitted lid or whether it should be hinged lid but having never hinged anythging before I feel this to be a huge job, I've also never etched anything either ... so will have to take on smaller practise projects incorporating hinges and etching in my jewellery.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Vanessa,

welcome to the forum.

Regarding adding metal to the napkin rings, you will need to be mindful that it changes the item from what it was and an assay office will need to give you a change of use certificate to go with it. I have recently converted some forks to bangles and that meant a change of use. London Assay office can give you some really good sound advice around this. But briefly and from the source the current regulatory requirements state:

"Practical guidance in relation to the Hallmarking Act 1973
    Making an alteration to a hallmarked article
    It is possible to make an alteration to a hallmarked article, subject to the following conditions:
    • The altered article must be of the same character and purpose as the original(e.g. a spoon must not become a fork).
    • The addition must be of the same standard as the article to which it is being added.
    • The weight of the addition must be no heavier than 0.5 grams in platinum,1 gram in gold, 1 gram in palladium, and 7.78 grams in silver.
    • The addition must not be greater than 50% of the article’s total weight.
    • Any other alterations must be re-submitted to an Assay Office."

hope this helps and doesn't confuse you too much.
    kindest,
    Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 30-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Hi Vanessa

I'm not sure whether it should be a hinged or separate lid but would think either would be fine. I've had a quick look on amazon but am none the wiser as to what the traditional style is so perhaps others can pitch in here. (Excuse the dense question and honestly, this is me being dense, not patronising but are these type of gifts (christening spoons, lock of hair boxes, etc...) given to the child to 'use' or are they keepsakes for when they are older? Not having children or any such keepsake myself, I just don't know!)

Don't worry about the not having etched anything before. I've learnt that as long as you have planted in the mind that you want do achieve something, as long as you stick to that desire, you'll achieve the desired outcome.

AND as you'll have time to practice I'm sure you'll get the technique down! There are quite a few posts re etching on the forum. Have a search if you've not done so already.

Can I ask, why you want to use a ready hallmarked napkin ring? If you are not registered for hallmarking yourself, you can still get pieces hallmarked - Cookson's are able to do this (but I've not used the service myself). One reviewer on amazon mentioned it's nice to have the hallmark the same year of the child's birth so not sure whether this would be something to consider?
    Last edited by surfergirl; 30-12-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: additional thought
    Indi

if something is made and given as a gift, doesn't that exempt it from hallmarking, as long as no one tries selling it on afterwards as silver?

That said, whilst I can see the point in using the readymade napkin rings as the base for the box, I think Wallace is right that because you would be adding silver to the ring to make the box, there could be issues with the ring being hallmarked. I'd go for an unhallmarked ring and maybe get it marked later when it's fully made.

Why not just buy some silver tube and make it yourself. Rashbel do large diameter tubing. As for hallmarking, although it would be nice to get it done, it's not strictly necessary as long as you're not selling it.

well I am glad I posted the question... I had no idea that there were restrictions or rules regarding hallmarked items! Think I'll do it from scratch as you suggest Carole - where will I find Rashbel ? Re the question about whether it will be a keepsake - I'd like to think it will be used for any wobbly teeth that has worked its way free, my daughter uses hers.

Rashpels - now found online - love it they've got loads of stuff!
    Last edited by Vanessa; 30-12-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: answered my own question

The advantage of Carole's suggestion is that you can then decide for yourself what length of tube to use, slice off about 8.0mm for the lid, add a top and bottom and finally a protruding rim within the box to hold the lid securely.

This will avoid the need for a hinge, which is seriously difficult for a beginner. The lid can be made to fit a little more tightly by adding one or more light punch marks to the inner rim, which will raise small pimples on it.

Below are my magnetic paperclip holders made using this general idea. However these are oval and roll textured rather than etched, so I had to make the tubes as well. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnetic Paperclip Boxes.jpg  

Thanks Dennis - fab paperclip holders! I've not put pen to paper yet to plan it but in my head I was thinking of doming the lid but looking at my doming block I possibly wouldnt have a big enough 'doming hole' to do that... unless I make a box that is just big enough for one very small tooth lol... got to start somewhere!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The advantage of Carole's suggestion is that you can then decide for yourself what length of tube to use, slice off about 8.0mm for the lid, add a top and bottom and finally a protruding rim within the box to hold the lid securely.

This will avoid the need for a hinge, which is seriously difficult for a beginner. The lid can be made to fit a little more tightly by adding one or more light punch marks to the inner rim, which will raise small pimples on it.

Below are my magnetic paperclip holders made using this general idea. However these are oval and roll textured rather than etched, so I had to make the tubes as well. Dennis

I use Argex for large bore tube - they go up to 50mm OD. The easiest for little boxes, though are their 32 and 30mm sizes as they fit inside each other. A small (5mm will do) length of the 30mm soldered just inside one end makes a lovely inside edge which the lid will fit over.

I wish there were more sizes of tube available that nested this neatly. It would make some sizes of tube settings so much easier!

edited to add - just seen your last post, and you can get some very inexpensive wooden doming blocks for larger sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I use Argex for large bore tube - they go up to 50mm OD. The easiest for little boxes, though are their 32 and 30mm sizes as they fit inside each other. A small (5mm will do) length of the 30mm soldered just inside one end makes a lovely inside edge which the lid will fit over.

I wish there were more sizes of tube available that nested this neatly. It would make some sizes of tube settings so much easier!

edited to add - just seen your last post, and you can get some very inexpensive wooden doming blocks for larger sizes.
    Thanks goodness so much helpful advice! Re the wooden doming blocks do they last? my wooden punches havent faired very well at all - one in fact has crumbled