Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarked Napkin Rings

this thread is putting me in mind of a prehistoric living site I found over christmas (I was looking to remind myself of the best way to render the two litres of goose fat I had). Those guys would consider the lot of us to be frauds as they would argue that we should be making our own tools and extracting the ore etc. I did love the irony of these bronze age men having a web site

I suspect that the only way to fully differentiate yourself from other sellers if the ~only~ fabricated stuff you buy is sheet, wire and tubing, is to say every single part is made by hand. Now if someone is happy to pay the 4 times the cost of that item compared with someone who has produced a near identical piece using some ready made components like ring blanks or stone settings, then great. I'm sure there are people out there who would do that, but I suspect it's a small number. I think the trick is to make something that is absolutely individual in design and execution, even if some parts are prefabricated.

I also think there is a bit of a distinction between individuals making jewellery which sometimes uses ready made components and mass produced, identical stuff. The ring Peter would make in that example is presumably commissioned because that design isn't available in mass production, so the final outcome is still something unique even if some parts are assembled.

Perhaps I should back out of this because the last thing I want to do is upset people. I was referring to people that buy all the components completely finished apart from setting in the stone. You can buy finished ring shanks with bezels already soldered (are they called snap-in) and all you have to do is put the stone in, so it isnt (in my opinion - hand made).
    Last edited by Patstone; 03-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Not at all! It's proving to be a really good kick-around. Different people draw the line at different points, and it's interesting to see why each person picks that point.

Don't worry Pat. No-one's offended. It's just a debate and I agree with you about ready made rings.

My feeling is that most punters don't give a monkey's whether its made by hand or untouched by hand. they would like to think that the seller had some part in the design and making though. They would also prefer that the numbers are not too large or at lest the design be varied to reduce the risk of seeing the identical thing on a friend and lastly they would prefer the price not to be so high as to break the bank.

If you are a world class designer, then of course none of the above will hold because you will have a following who collect your one offs, mostly to show off in a cabinet.

I think for general purposes 'designed and made by' will be a good enough designation. Dennis.

I agree Dennis. It always amazes me how little imagination most customers have. When I make more unusual stuff which I have to charge more for, it always takes a while to sell. My run of the mill stuff is always snapped up immediately. Very boring for me as I don't want to churn out the same old stuff all the time. I sometimes feel like a one-woman factory. Still, it pays the bills, so I shouldn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I agree Dennis. It always amazes me how little imagination most customers have. When I make more unusual stuff which I have to charge more for, it always takes a while to sell. My run of the mill stuff is always snapped up immediately. Very boring for me as I don't want to churn out the same old stuff all the time. I sometimes feel like a one-woman factory. Still, it pays the bills, so I shouldn't complain.
    Same. I make new stuff and in my head I'm all "oh I really love this design, it's going to sell really well, blah blah blah" and then nothing. Not a sausage. I just make things I like and would want to wear, but it's so hard to predict what other people might want!

Hahahaha I make all the rings my size. If they dont sell, well it means I have to wear them. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Same. I make new stuff and in my head I'm all "oh I really love this design, it's going to sell really well, blah blah blah" and then nothing. Not a sausage. I just make things I like and would want to wear, but it's so hard to predict what other people might want!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hahahaha I make all the rings my size. If they dont sell, well it means I have to wear them. Shame.
    Oddly, that approach doesn't work so well for me...

I *ought* to have made some cufflinks for the exhibition - plus a pair for me. 20/20 hindsight.

My very worst encounter was with a visitor who looked up from my photo album and asked: Do you make this from a kit?

By the way Pat, far from being apologetic, you should be well pleased with all the comments your post has raised. After all, that's what a Forum is for, except during the Ides of March of course. Dennis.