Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarked Napkin Rings

I wouldn't say the wooden blocks last for ever, but for the price (under a tenner), they do the job for long enough, and I just replace them when they get a bit manky. You can use them with the large hardwood punches (which are much better than the mushroom shaped ones), or (gently) with the largest metal punches you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I wouldn't say the wooden blocks last for ever, but for the price (under a tenner), they do the job for long enough, and I just replace them when they get a bit manky. You can use them with the large hardwood punches (which are much better than the mushroom shaped ones), or (gently) with the largest metal punches you have.
    Under a tenner? well thats on my shopping list! haha thanks George!

Check out this on Amazon, it might suit your purpose; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Dappi...6945088&sr=8-1

You can also hammer deep dome shapes by using a domed hammer and a lead block, or if you only want a shallow dome then you can use a slightly domed hammer on a steel flatplate.
    Check out this tutorial about using a lead block that I did on another forum, most of my best doming hammers are just standard cheap hammers filed to suit the shapes I want;
    http://www.guildofjewellerydesigners...d=15&Itemid=67

James

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I use Argex for large bore tube - they go up to 50mm OD. The easiest for little boxes, though are their 32 and 30mm sizes as they fit inside each other. A small (5mm will do) length of the 30mm soldered just inside one end makes a lovely inside edge which the lid will fit over.

I wish there were more sizes of tube available that nested this neatly. It would make some sizes of tube settings so much easier!

edited to add - just seen your last post, and you can get some very inexpensive wooden doming blocks for larger sizes.
    On checking out the Argex site, I spotted that they do sized tubes for rings. I've never come across that before. Does anyone use them and are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    On checking out the Argex site, I spotted that they do sized tubes for rings. I've never come across that before. Does anyone use them and are they any good?
    I do from time to time, and yes, it's very easy to use

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I was just looking at those as well! Need to get my maths head on and work out if it's cheaper than buying the wedding ring blanks from Cooksons...

Let me know when you've worked it out Lauren, cos I don't have a maths head! I guess the advantage is that you can have any width you like.

If it's any help Carole, I find them cheaper than wedding ring blanks, and I love being able to choose the width. I have no problems taking them up half a size for between sizes either.

Thanks George. I think I'll give them a go.

Why do you guys buy blanks, thought you would have made them from sheet or wire.