Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling silver split rings

Default Sterling silver split rings

I have a bit of a dilemma and wondered if anyone could help shed some light on it. I have a handmade Pandora style charm which consists of a sterling silver heart which is attached directly onto a split ring which is then attached directly to the closed loop on a charm carrier. The charm falls off and I end up with a charm and a charm carrier but no split ring, it's completely detached from the charm and carrier. Aside from the split ring breaking is there any other possible way this could have happened? I'm struggling to understand how a charm and a carrier can "thread" themselves back through a split ring. Any suggestions, reasons would be most welcome.

Thanks

If I understand you correctly:
    1. The charm has a soldered on and soldered closed jump ring. Or is just an outline heart with no gaps.
    2. The 'charm carrier' is continuous and has no gaps.
    3. The two are connected with a silver split ring.

Silver split rings are not ideal as they easily stretch slightly when first put on, so they can begin to turn and undo again when worn. Sods Law says that if there is any possibility of this happening, then it will.

You can get new silver split rings from Cooksons, or settle for a tiny stainless steel one sometimes sold at a locksmith, a hobby shop, or on line.
    Dennis.

I wouldn't use a split ring at all. A properly closed jump ring of the right size and gauge will do the job far better.

Thanks for your replies. The charm carrier has a closed ring to which I've attached the split ring and then the split ring goes directly through a hole punched into a small sterling silver solid heart charm (it's a flat solid heart onto which I've handstamped some text).

It's actually one which I've made for a customer who messaged me last night to say it was the first day she put it onto her Pandora bracelet, went into the kitchen and heard the charm drop on the floor....so she has the charm carrier still on the bracelet and the heart charm but no split ring. I don't know, I just find it strange that the split ring has come detached from both the charm and the carrier and I'm wondering if it's been tampered with. It is a pretty sturdy thick split ring and I was real careful attaching it so as not to stretch it.

I used a split ring thinking it would be more secure than a jump ring as I've had jump rings catch and open before.....I plan on teaching myself to solder so that I can solder jump rings and hopefully avoid disasters.

This is a similar carrier.... http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true so it has a split ring attached directly to it and then the heart charm attached directly to the split ring too.

Using a good quality jump ring (at least 0.9mm wire with no more than a 3mm id) should be more than strong enough, and if properly closed (you need to hear the 'click' and be able to run a fingernail over the join without it catching) will do the job more than well enough.

Once you've opened a split ring to attach something to it, it never really closes properly again, and can easily work its way off a small ring.

Would you recommend soldering, George, to give a bit of extra security? I imagine soldering jump rings is quite fiddly and may take some practice. I looked at the locking jump rings but they don't look very attractive in pictures I've seen, they look quite bulky but maybe that's just the close up of the photo.

If the jump ring is the right size (heavy enough for the inner diameter) soldering really isn't necessary - and it does mean you can save on a lot of clean-up and polishing. The locking jump rings are horrid!

PM me your address, and I'll send you a few jump rings of the right sort to try out if you like?

Ah, that's very kind of you, George, and I'd be most grateful if you could do that. I shall PM you my details when I'm on the laptop in the morning (only on my mobile at the minute and it's not ideal for navigating around the forum!). Thank you very much

I've also just looked on your website, George, and love your ear wires and charm carriers. Do you make them to order and roughly how long would an order take if I placed one? I'd love to use one of the carriers for some of my bracelet charms when I start making again in the new year.

Thank you! Everything is handmade, some things are in stock all the time, others are made to order - either way I usually post same or next day. I've got charm carriers in all sizes in stock at the moment though.