Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Cards and other Advertising 'Gumpf'

Question Business Cards and other Advertising 'Gumpf'

I officially became self employed at the beginning of July this year and boy oh boy am I finding it hard! In my first trading month I made just over 10% of my projected sales....and 2 parties people promised to hold for me got postponed/moved to September. I have struggled to get my website started but can't get the right conditions to photograph any more stuff to put on it (%£&&*" British summer!!) and played around with Photoshop - which is as easy for me as pushing porrige up hill - to try to design 'professional' looking flyers and leaflets.

I have done myself some business cards which border on the 'OK' but nothing more - and which my son puts into his extensive daily mailings to spread the word nation wide (and occasionally internationally) but I don't think they are good enough for me to proudly hand them to people I meet personally. So here is my question... I want a good value, good looking, business card.....any ideas??? I have looked at MOO which I think looks really good and I am definitely leaning that way but does anyone else have any other recommendations, suggestions or experiences?

I don't want one that advertises the printer on it...and I don't want one that looks like it could belong to every other business on the planet (which is why I like the look of the MOO ones as they put your own photos on them {which would be great - weather permitting!!])....but with everything else I am trying to do I haven't got the time to be trawling the internet on the hope of finding just what I want.

All thoughts, ideas and suggestions for business cards (and any other advertising ideas) eagerly awaited....don't let me down......

Barbara I've used Moo for a couple of enterprises and now for Moon Cottage. Their quality is superb, delivery is fast and everything is reasonably priced. I don't think you can do better but look forward to hearing what the other guys have to say.
    Di x

I like Moo cards as well ~ I sometimes use the mini-moos as tags for my jewellery. They are good quality and feel nice to the touch.

Most of my advertising gumpf I get from Vistaprint for consistency (and prices), and I used to use their standard designs, but now I use my own, and omit the vistaprint web address shown.

Last year I bought some artwork from someone on Etsy ~ a standard avatar and business card set, but then commissioned her to create headers, different business cards (standard and mini-moo sizes) and gift tags using the same design. She created these in the sizes required for both Vistaprint and Moo so I have a choice. I think all the work cost me $36, which is less than £20.

I take advantage of Vistaprint's freebies and special offers. I order standard business cards (you can get them coated so they have a heavier quality), vertical cards for earring displays and information cards, postcards advertising my products and market days (placed on corner of the table), and gift tags (business card size folded in half).

Everything has my name and contact details (of course). When I display my jewellery, each piece has a vertical card that details the materials and price, then I just cut the price off when it's boxed + if it's a gift, I pop in a gift tag as well. That way, the buyer/recipient has information about the jewelley + contact for potential follow up sales.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Default Wow!!

Crumbs Kym - what is your budget for advertising??!! ... I feel quite overwhelmed! ...I think I need to read it all again and make notes!!!

I knew I would get some great ideas from you lot!!

.....but don't stop there folks - keep it coming!!

And thanks both to you Kym, and Di, for your imput on MOO... that's 2 big ticks in the box for them then...

Quote Originally Posted by kymbi View Post
    Most of my advertising gumpf I get from Vistaprint for consistency (and prices), and I used to use their standard designs, but now I use my own, and omit the vistaprint web address shown.
    Have you had any problems with VistaPrint? They seem to have a bit of a reputation online...

I don't spend much with Vistaprint as I only order when they send me their email advertising freebies, so I mainly just pay for the postage. Usually I get 250 business cards for less than £6 using the "slow postage" option.

I've been using Vistaprint for about 3 years and I've only had 1 problem with one order not arriving (but refunded). However, I am aware of problems that people have found with them ~ these seem to occur when you click-through to their partners sites and then get charged for things you haven't signed up to or get bombarded with advertising. I just make sure I checkout only the items I have put into my basket and don't get sucked in to any of their tempting add-ons.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Hi I have used vistaprint they were ok but I use goodprint.good quality card and you can have photo of your work on the back of card. I also think its good to think about what colours your going to use I have always gone for black and white it stands-out well especially if your competing with a whole load of other advertising.

I also use vistaprint. I upload my own images/designs and don't use their templates (all a but naff imho and will have their details on the back).

They are a bit sneaky though, cos you think you are getting a great deal, but by the time you check out, loads of other costs get added to the bill. They do still work out cheap though, and reprints are cheaper still.

I used vistaprint once and they were fine. The trick is to save copies of the email offers they send to you (on an almost daily basis) and resurrect them when you need to order something - as long as you put the correct code in from the email, they still honour the offer. (that reminds me of a joke but perhaps here is not the place)

I'm another one that uses Moo's mini cards as swing tags and their portrait format cards for earrings. For the swing tags I punch a whole and put one of those little metal ring things in it (can't for the life of me remember what they're called). They look quite cool.

I just tried to scan an image in so you could see but the scanner seems to be knackered
    Di x

Vista is sllllooooooowwwww and the quality is just about OK...useful if you need 100 postcards....don't believe the its free stuff you pay extra for uploading your own images, postage over the odds.....
    moo is good if you want lots of different images.
    Personally I now use petrol cards, they are good, quick and fantastic quality (I find a pro looking card makes all the differences). I got together with a group of jewellery friends to get a discount, and they all loved them too (and we are a hard bunch to satisfy). Didn't think postcard company much good, my model looked like she had sunburn.....
    Em