Thread: Smaller quantities of gold solder?

Default Smaller quantities of gold solder?

Hello all

First post here. I've been dabbling in silver over the last year, and now have a friend asking me to do a pair of white gold wedding rings. This is fine (only a bit of pressure!) but I'm finding it a bit annoying that when Cookson offers a great service when it comes to wire, sheet, tube etc and how you can pretty much get everything cut to your requirements, why they can't offer the same service for the solders?

I don't need a £40 piece of white gold solder, I just need a very small strip. In cooksons favour though, it seems most other companies are doing the same!

Welcome to the Forum, Chris. Which white gold Are you using? If not specified, I favour 9ct as it woks much like silver, is durable and tarnish resistant, and has a beautiful warm colour. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Welcome Chris,
    I have been in this trade for over 50 years and all of the gold solders that I have bought have been sold in 2 gram sizes. The only way you could get yourself a small piece is if you know another worker who will share with you. May I ask if you have considered buying un finished wedding ring blanks, you can buy plain 18ct white gold wedding ring blanks in all shaped wires for about £4 per gram more than the cost of buying the same shape wire per gram, and no soldering or solder lines involved.

James

Thanks both for the replies. I guess I'll have to ask my contacts as to whether they have a bit I can beg or buy!

They'll be 9ct White gold rings. I had pointed out to my friend the cheapest option would be to just get some blanks, but they're into the idea of it being hand made, by someone they know, as opposed to being a mass-produced cast ring from a faceless entity. I think they actually want them to be slightly "off perfect" so they have a bit of character!

Have you tried ebay for the solder?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I agree, smaller quantities would be great.. I have just done a commission for a 9ct yellow gold ivy leaf pendant, but couldn't afford the solder for a hidden bail on the back of the pendant so had to improvise with a wire one made to look like a vine This was my first item made in gold and I prefer using silver so couldn't really justify and extra £40 just to use a tiny piece of it. Have you considered a group buy? Ask if anyone is interested in splitting the cost of a piece, then get someone to order it and cut it into however many pieces and post it out to everyone else I would be interested just to have a bit in stock, but I'm a bit too skint so close to xmas

I have a bit of medium gold solder which I think is 14 or 18ct. I have no idea how to price it up but if anyone wants some I'm happy to have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Moody View Post
    Hello all

First post here. I've been dabbling in silver over the last year, and now have a friend asking me to do a pair of white gold wedding rings. This is fine (only a bit of pressure!) but I'm finding it a bit annoying that when Cookson offers a great service when it comes to wire, sheet, tube etc and how you can pretty much get everything cut to your requirements, why they can't offer the same service for the solders?

I don't need a £40 piece of white gold solder, I just need a very small strip. In cooksons favour though, it seems most other companies are doing the same!
    Hi Chris.
    I have some 9ct white solder, you're welcome to a small strip.

I think Betts sell half panels and stretching my memory.............you may be able to buy wire solder from suppliers by the cm, but not sure if white 9ct was available, Kernowcraft may do..........not sure if anyone else can enlighten??

Thanks all.

I don't think I'd like to risk ebay, I feel there would be too great a chance for receiving something that isn't as pure as it should be etc!?

I ended up biting the bullet and buying a sheet of 9ct white gold solder. After sitting down with my friend and finally getting the sizes/quantity of metal required, there was enough budget left over for me to cover some solder and new tools for the project. I'll either use more solder again in the future if I get more commissions, or sell it on!