Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxycon

I get nowhere near as big a flame as that! it's about half that size. I'll see if I can get hold of a video of it. I'll gaffer tape my mouth to remove the need to add bleeps in after.

I find that I have to let it run for about 10min before using it. Also after i've turned the gas off I reopen the oxy valve to allow the oxy to flow, this stops the oxycon tripping a red light due to no flow. Mine don't like to run with no flow for about 1min before the red light.

I keep the oxycon flow valve max open as the flow is defined by the torch valve.

Merry Christmas folks.
    Neil

I've sussed out and solved the problem thanks for all the replies.
    It was down to the fact that the little torch barely needs 0.3lpm with a no 5 tip, the oxycon is unhappy with flow rates of less than about 0.5lpm and shows a red light after a few minutes.
    I solved it by putting a y piece in the tube and splitting the flow between the torch and another branch. On the other branch I have a tap slightly open venting into the room, to give a flow rate of about 2 lpm, the oxycon is happy with this.
    When I use the torch the flow then rises to 2.3lpm which the oxycon can easily supply.
    I have found that it needs to run for a couple of minutes before using it to get the Oxygen concentration up sufficiently, until then you are effectively blowing air through the torch and it is easy to blow the flame out.
    Here is the instruction manual for the one I have (Devilbiss 515) if anyone needs it.
    Cheers
    Martyn