Thread: Barrelling media

Default Barrelling media

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have a problem. I've been trying to shine up some flat gold and silver pieces in my tumbler. I'm using a mixed fine s/s shot I bought from UKGE as it was far cheaper than Cooksons! It has two sizes of fine pins in it plus 2 sizes of balls, bicones and lozenges. The problem is that it is leaving a pin-prick effect on the flat pieces ie gold cufflinks, flat silver bracelet, flat silver dog-tag and a gold ring with flat surfaces. Am I using the wrong medium? It works fine on heavy curb chains. I have gone back to using my walnut shells for today until I can find out what to buy. Any advice will be much appreciated

For larger, flat pieces it is not uncommon for the pin shaped media (designed to burnish all the little nooks and crannies in more complex designs) to mar the surface. I suppose you could (painstakingly) remove the pins and leave just the other shapes or (if you haven't already) you could try using radial discs. In my opinion, you can get a much better finish in much less time. Also, if you'd still like to tumble polish your pieces I find that adding a good handful of plastic shot (like plastic ball bearings) works great for practically every piece and reduces the likelihood of surface marks. Well, that's what I've found anyway. I always put some plastic shot in with my stainless steel mix.

Just out of interest, what burnishing compound are you using? Using a good one makes a massive difference to the overall finish.

Large flat areas can also be polished using several grades of MicroMesh, available on line. These are grey rubbery sheets of graded abrasive, which can achieve a mirror finish. However in a professional workshop a jeweller would use a polishing lathe.

In the absence of a lathe a combination of radial disks as mentioned by silken, and MicroMeshh would work for you. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-12-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Thank you for both your responses. I used the barrelling method with s/s shot six years ago when I worked in a small jewellers shop with repair facility and I didn't have this problem then as far as I can remember. This is why I thought that the pins were the problem. However, I have today tried another flat silver dog tag with walnut shell and it looks even more pitted than the earlier pieces that I used the s/s shot on! I have my bench polisher so I think I'll use that with tripoli instead. Do you guys think that the s/s balls without the other shapes are better than the mixed shapes maybe? Emily; The plastic balls sound interesting - I haven't tried them before - thanks for that tip. I am using barrelbrite.