Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways of working

Default Ways of working

One of the things that this exhibition has given me a kick up the backside on is how I work. Previously, I've worked on one piece from start to finish before starting on another; to get the stock together I've had to work on a number of pieces in parallel. What this has particularly done has been to cut out the downtime that there is with some operations - pickling being a prime one. I've tried to work through with one set of tools - files for example - and do all of the pieces to the same level before changing to another set (and similarly keep the changes of attachments on the Benchmate to a minimum). While aspects may sound a bit like a production line, it's been a useful exercise in diligence at the bench for this purpose; I'll probably revert to my "bad" habits when I go back to commissions...

One thing I've found quite useful is Ikea tealight holders; the little glass ones hold all the pieces for smaller jewellery items - so the stones & component parts get put in them at the start, and the piece goes back into it at the end of the operation. That's stopped me rummaging around quite a lot.

Now, if I can stop leaving tools in my sweeps drawer that'd be another improvement!

How do other people work? Do you have a number of pieces under work at the same time or do you just stick with one until it is complete?

Mine's very much a production line most of the time. As you say, when you have commissions or one-offs, it slows things down a lot. At the moment, I've got 25 order forms on my bench and more coming in daily. I've also got to make a load of stuff for hallmarking in between everything else. I was at work at 6.00 this morning and will probably still be there by bedtime. Oh, the joys of Christmas!

Yes mine is to have several things on the go at the same time, but mine is just a paying hobby, sometimes I just come to a standstill like I have at the moment, just cant get enthusiastic about anything, winter blues!!! We have a craft fair on Sunday, so maybe that will give me the kick that I need.

The ultimate is to tube set diamonds by holding your tube in your handpiece or mini-lathe and rotating it against various burrs to make the seat. Then you set the stones by holding a burnisher against the rim. Finally you rotate against a saw to cut off the completed setting for soldering.

I have enough trouble trying to do it the other way. I can now set a tube setting and do a flush set. Needless to say need more practice at both. On the good side the stones I have set that way have so far stayed in place. Still trying to get the enthusiasm to have another go at the bezel on what was going to be a birthday present for my mums 95th, but she loved her pendant so she can have the earrings as an "in-betweeny" present when I can muster up some enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The ultimate is to tube set diamonds by holding your tube in your handpiece or mini-lathe and rotating it against various burrs to make the seat. Then you set the stones by holding a burnisher against the rim. Finally you rotate against a saw to cut off the completed setting for soldering.

I'm a rummager I'm afraid. I have " all the tools, not necessarily in the right order ". I do try and be organised but then get going and the plan goes out the window. I also work in batches, trying to do perhaps all the soldering then maybe all the sprue cutting and tidying. I think it saves time.
    The tealight holders are a good idea much better than plastic bags.
    Also on the production line working at the moment but looking forward to after Christmas to go off at a tangent and play a little. Do you find that if you start an idea Peter, do you HAVE to finish something or can you leave it and come back to it ?

I am working on one piece at the time, but that's apparently my control freak nature... All my tools have thier own places, when I am starting my work I am lining them up in an order ( which I am going to need first) every type of beads, wire or findings have their own place... I have to say it is making my life difficult I wish that sometimes I could just work free not with the pressure where to put my cutters
    Babette

I am a bit like that, not quite as bad but when I finish with a particular tool it has to be put in the right place. Never leave my table in a mess, but it could be that all my life I have worked in an office which was open to the public, so it had to be neat and tidy, try doing that for 40 odd years and it not rubbing off on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Babette InProgress View Post
    I am working on one piece at the time, but that's apparently my control freak nature... All my tools have thier own places, when I am starting my work I am lining them up in an order ( which I am going to need first) every type of beads, wire or findings have their own place... I have to say it is making my life difficult I wish that sometimes I could just work free not with the pressure where to put my cutters

If I must go back to the bad old days, and I can't believe I am admitting this, but my very first job many moons ago I was working in an underwear factory, but that ''piecework'' mentality has helped me out in many ways over the years. Certain items get the attention they require, but mostly my workroom is a one person factory.

Les
    Poor old Les

Which brings me to the subject of jump rings. Whenever I make jump rings there will be some spares to put in a box for later. Trouble is it takes longer to rummage in my box for a few of a kind, than it does to make new ones. The result is an ever growing collection. Dennis.