Thread: Our Homebrew Crystal and Jewellery Website is Born

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Our Homebrew Crystal and Jewellery Website is Born

Just put together, after months of labour, our first custome-coded website: http://www.complexity.co.uk
    Feedback always welcome

Very fast site and easy to navigate. Currently the about tab leads to the home page. Now though you have to get the rest of those pictures up

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grigg View Post
    Very fast site and easy to navigate. Currently the about tab leads to the home page. Now though you have to get the rest of those pictures up
    Hey, thanks from the feedback! Slowly getting there with the pictures, I'm just finding out how much skill is actually required to take them,
    I've a new respect for professional photographers.

The route from image to PayPal is easy to follow. You'd be surprised at how often I give up rather than waste any more time over this.
    The photography needs more attention as you have hinted yourself. The following are aids, if you don't already have them:

A light cube, The cheapest 400mm one around £10 would do. A lamp on each side with 100W bulbs.
    A camera on which you can adjust the white balance and increase the exposure level when using white backgrounds.
    A clamp or tripod for the camera.
    A further lamp with a flexible arm and multiple LEDs to give sparkle to faceted stones and crystals.
    A simple programme, such as Photoshop Elements, which will guide you when cropping, adjusting brightness and contrast, adjusting colour and sharpening images.

I hope I have not spoken out of turn. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-04-2013 at 09:04 PM.

I agree with what's been said so far. Also there's nothing about you on your site. People do like to see a bit of background before they'll trust you enough to buy anything.

Nice looking website Only thing I would add would be an info page stating postage costs, delivery times, returns policy etc.

Rachael x

your peridot cross is coming up as 0.00

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and the nice compliments! It's very useful getting other people's opinions on things that my own eyes are now used to seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    your peridot cross is coming up as 0.00
    ^^^ Bug fixed, thanks for the heads up.

Also, great ideas on putting postage/returns/delivery information up. As well as some background information on who we are.. all very useful information, I agree.

Finally, thanks for the light cube tips Dennis, I managed to build one of of scraps bits of wood and a sheet in the end and saved 30 pounds on buying one .
    I've also found that the key to decent photos is lighting. Incandescent bulbs are too yellow I find, even the daylight ones. So I've gone for 2 LED floodlights, they
    make a real difference. Then a cheap old digital macro camera with a tripod. I've also gone for the Linux GIMP rather than photoshop, its just as good and *free*. If anyones linterested in the setup just let me know and I'll post a pic.