Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bracelet

Default Baby Bracelet

Hello,

I have been out of the loop for a long time growing a little person, she is 2 months old and i would like to make her a baby bangle/bracelet for her 1st christmas. Now i dont have any idea how to make a sliding one,like the traditional identity bracelet, so thought maybe easier to make an open ended one. I would like to stamp her name on it, so it cant be too thin or round. So my question is...what sort/size of wire would i need please?

Kat

You say you'd like to stamp her name on to the bracelet, do you already have a set of stamps? If so, what height are the letters? That's the first thing you'll need to think about before ordering your wire/sheet just to make sure that your stamping will fit and won't distort the metal too much

Hi Kat.
    Just in case you want to make a sliding bracelet! They are fun to make and quite easy, you just have to be careful with the soldering. I used to use patterned wire (different patterns and widths available). You need about 18cms of wire and solder a small rectangle(like a rectangular jump ring) onto one end of the wire,with the wire sitting on the ring. Shape the patterned wire into a circle then reverse the ring on the other end but thread the wire through first. Hard to explain so I've put a photo of one up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	4122

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Kat.

congratulations on your little one.

you could make one where the ends overlap and wrap around the other side. I saw a version from ancient greece in the V&A recently. I can't find a pic of it, but this is the kind I mean...

http://www.handmadesilverjewelry.biz...e-handmade.jpg

Ahhh iv just replied and its vanished...grrr!

Thanks for the replies. Ideally i would of loved to have made one like Anna suggested, but i just dont understand how to do it. I understand soldering the rectangular jump ring to one end+side of the wire,but i dont get how you do the other end and its slidey. So was going to do an open cuff..but obviously very petite and can then bend open/close! What thickness of wire do you use Anna?

Many thanks Kat

If i used 5mm wide do you think 0.84mm is too thin?
    Kat

No, it's fine. Any thicker and it might resist adjustment for a baby's wrist. Dennis.

I have one like Anna's from years ago, if you need a close up picture of one I can take it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by katb View Post
    If i used 5mm wide do you think 0.84mm is too thin?
    Kat

Sorry I haven't explained it very well Kat and it was a quick scan not a proper photo. Hopefully this shows it better. I used 4mm ready -made patterned wire but 5 would be fine. It's still available from Cooksons I think. Dennis is right that if it's too thick it doesn't work on a little wrist!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bangle 001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	4131