Thread: Rolling Mill?

Default Rolling Mill?

Hi, not sure if I've chosen the correct section to post, but here goes;

I'm extending the workshop & need a cheap (but good!) rolling mill - any recommendations please?

Many thanks

Jo

I'm afraid I'd advocate Durston all the way... It does rather depend on how much use & how long you intend to use it though. Mine sees most use in rolling out sheets of mokume gane, so it gets some stick (and thankfully is geared).
    I've used some of the cheaper ones, and I haven't been keen on them - roll alignment on a couple wasn't all that it should be (but it has to be said that some can be realigned).

Hi Jo,
    I couldn't live without my rolling mill, which I got from Proops http://www.proopsbrothers.com/cgi-bi...&ACTION=Search. It depends on how much money you want to spend. I'd definitely go for a geared one, as without its very hard work turning the handle! You sometimes see used Durstons on Ebay and I would love one, but for now its the Proops one for me. Good luck with your decision.
    Jules

Durston for me too, though I must admit I haven't tried the cheap one. Maybe Santa will squeeze one down your chimney!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have had both and like both, but for consistent and reliable milling, the Durston has the best results and ease of use.

I can only make comment on the Cooksons Value Range mill (the blue one). So far it's been amazing. Comes with extra textured rollers and wire making rollers. I didn't bother with the special stand for it as it's screwed into my worktop instead. It doesn't take up as much room as I thought it would either. It's been a good wee all rounder for someone like me that hasn't got alot of money to invest in tools x
    Sian Williamson

Hi Jojo

Like Keia, I can only comment on the Cookson's one as I'm still in the relatively early stages of jewellery making - I've had it for about 6 months now and it's been great. However as I go further down the line with jewellery making, I'd definitely like to invest in a Durston one; I guess at this point it depends on how much you want to spend and how often you'd think you'd use it.
    I also didn't buy the stand as it's bolted down to a work surface

I also went for the Value option and have not had it long so can't give a full review. But so far it has been excellent, I have used a larger more expensive mill at night school and apart from the larger one being more "powerful" have not yet noticed any difference. I am a hobby jeweller and married so need to be careful how much I spend but if the mill gets loads of use and starts to wear out I can start saving for the big "D" but so far so good.

P.S. First job it did was roll a thin copper shim to fix my brothers car, when I suggested a shim my brother said "where would we get copper that thin?"

Thanks everyone! It's great to get such a range of feedback, & I think I will have to go down the Cooksons Value route for now, then move on to the Durston. I'll be mostly using it when melting down & re-making wedding rings - seems to be mega popular at the moment!!

Thanks again everyone.

Jo