Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'orca' gas torch fittings

Default 'orca' gas torch fittings

Hi there,

My boyfriend bought me an Orca gas torch from ebay. Not sure if it's genuine but that's fine.
    It came with a pink hose that has a screw fitting on one end which I assume with the right adapter can be screwed into a Propane tank but it has nothing on the other end to attach the actual handle onto the hose. In the box with the three different tips there is a fitting that screws onto the main handle with a thin tapered end. Do I put that tapered end straight into the hose? I have tried but it doesn't seem to go in. Am doing the right thing? Is there a special nack to it, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but I am a bit stuck!

Thanks in advance!

No doubt someone will have specific advice for you in the next few days. In the mean time here are links to two past threads about the Orca torch. Dennis.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ght=Orca+torch

The small fitting should go straight into the hose - the pink hose is pretty stiff and will need soaking for a while in hot water to loosen it up enough to get the barb in, and you might want to add a lemon clip as well. The propane end may or may not be the right size for your bottle, or might be the right size for a MAPP cannister. If not, you could simply replace it rather than using an adapter, or switch it to a quick release valve. Alternatively, you can buy spare fittings from Sutton Tools.

They're great little torches.

Would putting a few drops of oil on it be a bad idea? I am still having trouble with it after soaking it in hot water.

Nat

If it's a rubber hose, then oil will probably degrade it. A drop of washing up liquid (pure soap is better) should help if the barb is going to fit.

Am I right in saying that if I use a portable propane cannister it will burn hotter than a refillable propane one for this torch?

Yes, a bit hotter (and cleaner). MAPP is better than regular propane and is very portable - and lasts pretty well. You do have to watch out for the cannister freezing if you use it for extended periods of time though - which can be helped by standing it in a bowl of hot water. I use this option if I'm teaching away from home, but use my regular big cannister at home. I have quick change fittings for this as I also use a little torch (and others), but have a separate dedicated hose and adapter for my MAPP bottle. I got the extra fittings from Suttons.

Think I will just get the fittings for the portable cannister as I am not yet a full time jewellery artist and getting a regular propane tank seems a bit excessive at the moment. I like the idea of it being portable too. Thanks for all your help